Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

1983 300td Wagon - AMG Clone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300tdt
1983 300td Wagon - AMG Clone

Meticulously and dutifully built tribute car wearing full BBS kit purchased new old stock from a German distributor. The wheels are off a SL and were stripped, polished and powder coated black with a coat of clear. Euro bumpers were good used pieces that were also stripped, acid dipped and powder coated matte black. The car was originally black, not a respray. The paint looks good for a driver but is far from perfect.

I've gone through the entire front suspension and have a spare steering box that goes with the car. It drives great but the steering could be a little tighter. The steering box is the only piece of the puzzle up front that hasn't been replaced with a new unit. The SLS rear suspension functions perfectly though the lines should probably be replaced at some point...fairly inexpensive insurance against failure.

The driveline is solid...what else would you expect from an om617 diesel? It starts in cold weather, pulls like a freight train and knocks down mid-twenties for mileage at 70 mph. The transmission has only around 25k miles on it, the rear end was recently rebuilt and the axles are both new high quality annular units purchased through Peach Parts.

Finally, the brakes stop the car effectively but will need rear pads in another 5k miles or so depending upon how you drive; the front brakes are new.

The only weak link is the vacuum system. The pump pulls good vacuum and the brakes have good assist and the transmission kick-works as it should. The central locking system does not function (I've replaced the lines but the vacuum pods need to be repaired or replaced). The shut-off valve is also non-functional and requires popping the hood to shut the engine off. It's an easy fix but requires the oil filter be removed to replace the valve. I planned to do it the next time I change the oil but haven't driven the car enough lately to justify a fluid change.

In a nutshell, this is a unique and solid car that with a few minor repairs could be an awesome daily driver. I still use the car from time-to-time but not often enough to justify keeping it around. Asking $5,500
Attached Thumbnails 1983 300td Wagon - AMG Clone-img_1800.jpg  

Last edited by leadphinger; 12-24-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to list a price...
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 PM

04 E55 - 97 E320 - 85 300D
Location ?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
I love these 123 Estate cars.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM

1983 300tdt