Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: Rare 1973 280CE--was a Barn Find, now great driver!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
W124 E320 Cab, W212 E350 Sport Wagon, W213 E63S AMG Wagon
Talking FS: Rare 1973 280CE--was a Barn Find, now great driver!

Ladies and Gents, I present you with a "barn find" W111 1973 Mercedes Benz W114 280 CE Coupe.

The car is fuel-injected, which was a rare model and extremely rare as to imported car to the U.S. Market. The car has automatic transmission, green exterior, white roof, and green velor interior. The interior seating is in great condition!
The previous owner kept the car in his garage, babied it, took it to local car shows, etc. The owner passed away last year and I purchased all of his cars, including a mint W111 1966 230S Universal (which I'm keeping...for now )

Mechanical Condition:The car was not in running condition when i purchased it. Towed her home. The fuel system was all gummed up. I cleaned out the fuel system, Replaced all of the filters and gasoline, serviced it, and the car now runs very well! It is Mechanically well sorted. The car drives very well. It does smoke a little when it is cold (expected), but otherwise runs very smoothly. The transmission shifts properly. The engine starts quickly when cold. The lights all work, but the turn indicator relay may need to be replaced soon. I have driven the car approximately 200 miles on a mix of highway and local roads. Sometime in the last 50 miles the speedometer and the odometer stopped working. The clock works intermittently. Otherwise, the gauges are all working including the pesky fuel gauge. The radio and horn work as well! The car has a brand new set of tires I just put on last week. I would suggest the new owner change the oil again after a few hundred miles of driving, just to get all of the potential crap out from sitting in a garage for a nice number of years.

Cosmetics:This car is not a full restoration concourse d'elegance quality car, but it is a very good driver quality car or an EASY restoration--I mean easy like Sunday morning. The paint has some minor flaws (some bubbles from a previous respray), but no major visible rust and NO known cancer on the body at all. The aluminum and chrome trim could use some attention. I am working on polishing it now...trying a variety of different products to alleviate the tarnishing and pitting. The drivers carpet needs to be replaced. There's a slit down the center of the dashboard--not sure if this is a crack because it is perfectly straight and looks like it belongs there, but it is there (you can see in photo below). The dash comes with a fitted carpet cover attached by velcro. Cosmetically, the only other flaw I can think of is 2 of the hub caps need to be repainted (paint flaking off) but I would probably just replace them. They're a dime a dozen on eBay + the like.

Why am I selling it: I do not have any more space. Too many toys. Otherwise, I definitely would be keeping it to continue driving it. I'm sure I'll deal with some seller's remorse on this one...I almost always do. It is a true pleasure to drive with some decent pickup and impressive torque!

Parents, n.b.: She's a great cruiser that I would not be afraid to drive on a day with questionable clouds. It has seat belts, so the wife would feel more comfortable letting you take the kids around in it

$8500 o/b/o ACCEPTING OFFERS

I reserve the right to sell the car elsewhere. The car is Offered on an as-is, where-is basis in New Jersey, USA, but the seller will coordinate shipping (international) for at additional fee.

if you have any questions email me at r o s s dot g a l e at g m a i l dot com

Data Card: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx7gxr7o10...ata%20card.png

As found:

After cleaning it up:

Underbody has no rot:

Manual:

Last edited by rggale; 06-23-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Can you tell me/us where in New Jersey?

I am interested in one of these and like the colors and condition on this one.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's500E
Can you tell me/us where in New Jersey?

I am interested in one of these and like the colors and condition on this one.
Central NJ near Princeton. Right off exit 8 on the Turnpike.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM

Accepting offers on the car now.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Had a red one in high school... and didn't quite appreciate how unique it was. Lovely car was awesome, regret selling it all the time.

GLWS
Old 10-25-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1971 250C
I'm sure this car is gone correct?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by raythe49er
I'm sure this car is gone correct?
Yes, sorry. The car sold at the Atlantic City car auction in fall 2014.