Notices

Machine shop in Illinois or good junk yard.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350 D
Machine shop in Illinois or good junk yard.

Hello.
I have some troubles with my Mercedes W140 S350D 1994 with 3.5 OM603.972. I need to find good machine shop. The engine is dismantled, it is necessary to change cylinder liners in a block, to check a crankshaft and a head of a block of cylinders. If anyone knows where to go for such a work, I would appreciate it. Or junk yard, where I can buy the engine Mercedes OM 603 (or om 606) in good condition.
Many thanks.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I'd search the web for LQK---national scrappers supplying the crash market
Old 03-03-2020, 02:09 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
IMHO, you will receive a MUCH BETTER RE_MANUFACTURED engine from a quality re-manufacturer than the piecemeal approach you described. A minimum cost overhaul is sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, valve guides, valve grind, oil pump, crank front dampener pulley. DO NOT 'grind head" as that will leave it variable thickness, bowing camshafts unless cam bearings are 'line bored' when tightened on block. Check against specs for warping. Aluminum heads are very flexible and 0.030" warp is OK. It all depends on how long you plan to run it.

Just SOME of the re-man things usually not done on a resleeve are: 1) New Oil Pump 2)Reground and parkerized camshaft with new cam towers 3) new valve guides and seals 4) new exhaust valves, 5) new intake valve ,6 )new rocker arms and pivots or lifters 7) New pistons, rings, wrist pins 8) remanufactured connecting rods with new wrist pin bushings and resized bearings 9) new cylinder sleeves 10) 'Decked" block after sleeves finished 11) resurfaced cylinder head only if needed 12) shimmed to original height camshaft towers 13) polished or reground, straightened and rebalanced (with rods and pistons) crankshaft 14) completely assembled and tested engine 15) oil pressure and compression tested, pressure tested cooling system
16) rebuilt fuel injectors and seals, 17) rebuilt fuel injector pump, 18) all new chains and chain guides, 19) new chain tensioners 20)new water pump and thermostats 20)new oil pan gasket and crank seals, 21)New crank dampener pulley and crank bolt, 22)New flywheel-crank bolts.etc. 23) Engine test run to prove performance

It takes a lot more than sleeves, pistons, and rings (and gaskets,seals) to overhaul a MB engine to as-new condition so it will perform and last like new. Also check with you Dealer on price for their rebuilt engine price. You may be surprised at the competitive price.