ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML 63 AMG On The Way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Diavel
Originally Posted by medici78
Well, I gave up on the ML63. Decided on an ML320CDI instead. It was for my wife anyway. She said she didnt need the extra power of the 63 and it wasnt worth the extra expense, not to mention the CDI will get me double the mpg. Who am I to argue? lol
What kind of pricing were they offering you? I was thinking the same thing for my girlfriend to drive. And no the ML63 was not for her.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Almost a Member!

ML 63 AMG silver/black
Talked to my dealer yesterday and he told me that there are no problems with the car, but DC is checking every car more than one time. They don't want to have quality problems with this car. They start to deliver out the cars next Monday, so he thinks I'll get it in time. (3 weeks)

I'll see.....

Bye, Peter
Old 06-24-2006, 02:26 PM

ML63 AMG, SL55 AMG, plus some Italian cars
Originally Posted by medici78
Well, I gave up on the ML63. Decided on an ML320CDI instead. It was for my wife anyway. She said she didnt need the extra power of the 63 and it wasnt worth the extra expense, not to mention the CDI will get me double the mpg. Who am I to argue? lol
There is another MB owner here too that is doing the exact same thing...gave up on the 63 and getting the CDI....its a trend
Old 06-25-2006, 02:32 PM

AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
Originally Posted by PhilS
I obviously haven't driven the ML63, but if it is half the fun of the Cayenne Turbo, you are in for one thrill ride. The Cayenne is the best handling SUV on the planet, it has power to spare, rides real nice and has great off road capabilities if needed. I look forward to the comparisons that are sure to come between the ML63 and the Cayenne Turbo/Turbo S.

Phil
I wish you well with your Cayenne Turbo, but I would beg to differ on the assertion that it's the best handling SUV. I've driven the Cayenne Turbo many times and for thousands of miles and found it to be quite impressive, but more so for the acceleration when on boost than handling or steering feel (which I found poor). I have owned a 4.8is X5 for more than 2 years and consistently found the X5 to be a better handling SUV and more importantly much more fun. I'm hoping that the ML63 might emulate and try and improve on the X5's capabilities. Also the ML63 weighs around the same as the 4.8is whereas the Cayenne Turbo weighs a hefty 200kg (or 450lbs) more.

I occasionally write for EVO magazine and a good friend of mine (ex-Editor) drove the ML63 in Southern Spain last month. He loved it and concluded that it was a good step ahead of the latest Cayenne Turbo S (which he drove the month before). We have similar driving styles so I can usually trust his judgement.

My biggest concern is with reliability. I had many issues with the air suspension on my 4.8is and now that it's sorted there's a sense of 'better the devil you know' . I hope I'm wrong. I have no concerns about the new 6.3 engine, that's the easy part of cars these days, it's the electronics that worry me.

Price wise, I've researched this as you all have and use the benchmark of other AMG 63 models as a comparison point. Over here in the UK the new E63 AMG is £66,000 and my expectation is that the ML63 will be just above this at £68,000 base, with a fully specced price of £72,000. The Cayenne Turbo for example is around £71,000 base and I paid £65,000 with options for my 4.8is.

I have a September production slot available that I'd like to decide on by tomorrow, but I'm still in two minds about changing from my 4.8is. The Cayenne wasn't good enough to make me switch (too quiet, not enough fun), but the ML63 seems to have a closer personality to what I'm used to.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Almost a Member!

ML 63 AMG silver/black
Originally Posted by ML63
Talked to my dealer yesterday and he told me that there are no problems with the car, but DC is checking every car more than one time. They don't want to have quality problems with this car. They start to deliver out the cars next Monday, so he thinks I'll get it in time. (3 weeks)

I'll see.....

Bye, Peter
My dealer called me today and told me the car is leaving Bremerhaven ( that's the city they all arrive from USA ) this week and I'll get the car next week !!!

Send you pics ASAP

Peter

PS: Here is a link from a reseller ( got the car today ) http://www.mobile.de/SIDD226fj6EkHzv...1111213865379&

Last edited by ML63; 06-26-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
NIceeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! we want more pix! And more videos!!!! Looks awesome!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Almost a Member!

ML 63 AMG silver/black
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
NIceeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! we want more pix! And more videos!!!! Looks awesome!

Trust me, I'm getting sick waiting for my baby....
I sat in one at Hockenheim while there was a DTM ( German touring series ) and the guy turned on the engine.. After he put his foot away from the pedal the car sounded like a gun ( peng-peng-peng ). Last time I heared this sound was turning off the power on my Harley while riding... That was awesome !!!

bye, Peter
Old 06-26-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Trust me, I'm getting sick waiting for my baby....
I sat in one at Hockenheim while there was a DTM ( German touring series ) and the guy turned on the engine.. After he put his foot away from the pedal the car sounded like a gun ( peng-peng-peng ). Last time I heared this sound was turning off the power on my Harley while riding... That was awesome !!!

bye, Peter
Can you order a leather dash?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Almost a Member!

ML 63 AMG silver/black
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Can you order a leather dash?
Hi,

if you mean a leather dashboard ( you got to know I'm German ), than "NO". Maybe direct at AMG manifacturing in Afalterbach... They 100% do things like this.

Even things like distronic, rear camera, comfort seats with cooling fan are available from Oct. on. .

Ciao, Peter
Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 AM

SL500 /Porsche 997S/Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by DoctorD
I wish you well with your Cayenne Turbo, but I would beg to differ on the assertion that it's the best handling SUV. I've driven the Cayenne Turbo many times and for thousands of miles and found it to be quite impressive, but more so for the acceleration when on boost than handling or steering feel (which I found poor). I have owned a 4.8is X5 for more than 2 years and consistently found the X5 to be a better handling SUV and more importantly much more fun.
Your opinion seems to differ with most reviewers. Every review I have read have described the Cayenne as no 911 in the handling department. But most reviewers have described it as best in its class. And certainly there is no comparison between the off-road capabilities of the Cayenne and the X5 or the ML.

Here are some comparison numbers from Motor Trend magazine (Cayenne S verses BMW X5 4.4i):

Braking 60-0 MPH - BMW 119 feet - Cayenne 111 feet
Braking 100-0 MPH - BMW 336 feet - Cayenne 318 feet
600 ft Slalom - BMW 61.7 MPH - Cayenne 63.2 MPH
Wet course lap, min:sec - BMW 1:13 - Cayenne 1:09
Figure 8 sec @ ave g - BMW 27.35 @ 0.63 - Cayenne 26.36 @ 0.67
200-ft skidpad - BMW 0.76 - Cayenne 0.86

They went on the say that the Cayenne Turbo does even better than the S that was tested. And you most likely will respond that the 4.8is is better than the 4.4i tested. But in this Cayenne S verses BMW X5 4.4i test there is no comparison. I couldn't find a Cayenne Turbo verses BMW X5 4.8is comparision.

Even the preliminary reviews I have read about the ML63 have described it as not handling as well as the Cayenne.

Last edited by PhilS; 06-27-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Almost a Member!

My dealer called me today and told me the car is leaving Bremerhaven ( that's the city they all arrive from USA ) this week and I'll get the car next week !!!

Send you pics ASAP

Peter

PS: Here is a link from a reseller ( got the car today ) http://www.mobile.de/SIDD226fj6EkHzv...1111213865379&

Link doesn't work Post some pics
Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Almost a Member!

ML 63 AMG silver/black
Hi,

the car is already sold..... so no more pics!

bye, Peter
Old 07-03-2006, 02:10 AM
Almost a Member!

ML 63 AMG silver/black
ML 63 AMG arrived finally Germany

Hi AMG Fans,

for those who didn't see the ML 63 in black, the cars arrived and I found some pics at http://www.mobile.de, which is the biggest German car trading site. Just go to MERCEDES-BENZ at the "marke" pull down menu und than the "Modell" pull down menu ---> ML 63 AMG, after this click "Suche starten"

Some dealers have already put in photos of the cars.

Ciao Peter
Old 07-03-2006, 05:12 AM
ON PROBATION

Thanks, Peter.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ML 63 AMG
Received a call from AMG saying that Bi-Xenons are standard for ML 63 AMG. . However option code #319 Bi-Xenons is for the ML 500.
Guess what, MarcusBenz (a sponsor here) posted this on 7/2:

"MBUSA just released the base price on the 2007 ML63.......$85,500!!! The packages available are:

319 Active Xenons
864 Rear Seat Entertainment

Available Accessories:

219 Distronic
220 Parktronic
550 Trailer Hitch
889 Keyless Go
056 Behind Center Console Rear Seat Entertainment
057 iPod Integration Kit
Y8X Alcantara Headliner (Matches Interior)
**Also some other cargo items that I cannot remember**"

Looks like option #319 isn't standard.

Phil
Old 07-03-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
shoooooot thats a freaking CLS or E AMG. Way too much money IMO. It had better be a freaking monster

Anyway i did some comparison of all the Top non AMG models vs the current AMG models

The base price difference between the 500 of any model to the AMG 55 model in that class is roughly 18K(lowest is C and SLK) to 25k(highest is CL)

The base price of a ML500 is roughly 50k. so you can do the math. At 90k that would mean a 40k difference and thus the highest difference in any of the AMG models. I dont see that happening. My best guess is a 20k difference in base price of the ML500 model. So maybe a ML63 will be 70-75k base.

I think dealers are trying to cover their butts by shooting you high and maybe some are trying to charge over sticker. Most know it wont be a 90-95k car.
The based price was announced this weekend. It is $85,500.

Phil
Old 07-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

ML 63 AMG silver/black
ML arrived !!!

I saw my car today at the dealer, already sat in it and turned the engine on ..... will get it at Thursday after first inspection and cleaning it and am looking forward to it !!

Ciao, Peter
Old 07-03-2006, 04:37 PM
ON PROBATION

I saw my car today at the dealer, already sat in it and turned the engine on ..... will get it at Thursday after first inspection and cleaning it and am looking forward to it !!

Ciao, Peter

Great stuff. Congratulations.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

Ciao, Peter
Please please pleaaaaaaaaaaaseeeee make lots of pix and pleaaaaaaaase make a video/sound of that BEAST!

Old 07-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Guess what, MarcusBenz (a sponsor here) posted this on 7/2:

"MBUSA just released the base price on the 2007 ML63.......$85,500!!! The packages available are:

319 Active Xenons
864 Rear Seat Entertainment

Available Accessories:

219 Distronic
220 Parktronic
550 Trailer Hitch
889 Keyless Go
056 Behind Center Console Rear Seat Entertainment
057 iPod Integration Kit
Y8X Alcantara Headliner (Matches Interior)
**Also some other cargo items that I cannot remember**"

Looks like option #319 isn't standard.

Phil
So then MB AMG is lying to me after someone contacted me from there lol. Also I dont see it anywhere on MBUSA site anything regarding ML 63 AMG base price.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM

So then MB AMG is lying to me after someone contacted me from there lol. Also I dont see it anywhere on MBUSA site anything regarding ML 63 AMG base price.
I was just able to confirm with my local MB dealership that the base price is indeed $85,500. Add to that $775 for transport and any options you may have ordered.

Phil
Old 08-01-2006, 07:15 PM

I guess so if no one belives me after when someone from AMG Marketing called me today to tell me Bi-Xenons are standard for ML 63 AMG and option code #319 is for ML 500 only while your at it PhilS look for code #999 free SLR lol . But it would be great to post a option page to make these guys happy till September and find out they were wrong.
Will you call back your source at AMG Marketing to ask them why they gave you bad info about the Bi-Xenons? We won't have to wait until September to prove us right/wrong. I just received the 2007 ML brochure from MBUSA and it clearly shows the Bi-Xenon headlamps and corner-illuminating foglamps are optional on ALL ML models (including the ML 63 AMG).
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Will you call back your source at AMG Marketing to ask them why they gave you bad info about the Bi-Xenons? We won't have to wait until September to prove us right/wrong. I just received the 2007 ML brochure from MBUSA and it clearly shows the Bi-Xenon headlamps and corner-illuminating foglamps are optional on ALL ML models (including the ML 63 AMG).

yeah that is an option so is the iridium silver paint color they charge extra . plus there will be a fuel guzler tax witch is about $1,000

also im confuzed if its gonna have aluminum or wood , becouse my dealer is saing it comes with wood standard i want aluminum and theres no code .. when all the pictures show aluminum ,,...

and headlight are they gonna have the amber corner ot the white ? all the pics show white including the ones in germany are white and here in prochure shows amber WTF..

and the alcantera headliner , they say its standart but it obviously has a code as an otion

IM CONFUZED!!!

Last edited by Dj Euro; 08-01-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dj Euro
yeah that is an option so is the iridium silver paint color they charge extra . plus there will be a fuel guzler tax witch is about $1,000

also im confuzed if its gonna have aluminum or wood , becouse my dealer is saing it comes with wood standard i want aluminum and theres no code .. when all the pictures show aluminum ,,...

and headlight are they gonna have the amber corner ot the white ? all the pics show white including the ones in germany are white and here in brochure shows amber WTF..

and the alcantera headliner , they say its standart but it obviously has a code as an otion

IM CONFUZED!!!
1. Metallic paint is a NO COST option on the ML 63 AMG
2. The interior comes in Nappa leather in three interior colors, black, macadamia or ash. The seats, dashboard and front and rear door panels and handles as well as the armrests on the doors and between the seats are all fitted with Nappa leather.
3. Comes with burl walnut wood trim on console and doors. Aluminum trim on doors and console assist grips.
4. The Bi-Xenon headlights have amber side marker lights built into them. For vehicles sold in the USA, they have to be amber.
5. Can't find anything in the brochure about the headliner. The picture in the brochure of the ML 63 AMG vehicle features a Iridium Silver exterior and a black interior. The headliner appears to be an off-white color. Alcantara is not shown as either being standard nor does it show as an available option.

Phil
Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks for that info man