ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Winter tires/wheels discussion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
Winter tires/wheels discussion

Since we have a few different threads under the theme of winter tires, we can have this thread here serve as the general forum on winter tire experiences, suggestions, questions, etc. (Some winter tire threads started w/ very specific titles and questions but then evolved into more of a general winter tire conversation)

It seems like no forum users here have actually yet used the ML63 yet in true winter conditions (e.g., snow, ice, slush, extremely cold temps, etc.), or at least, such experiences are limited. And as we know, a winter tire brand / model line used on a non-ML63 model might not translate to very similar results on the ML63.

I have been looking into ML63 winter tire options the last few weeks. Given that I don't drive very much and I can easily use taxicabs or my wife's SUV in the worst of weather, I have narrowed down my choices to the following, all of which I am told by at least one tire retail dealer will work with the stock 20" wheel. (Of course, do not consider the info below an absolute and all of the info below needs confirmation in terms of availability, fit, safety, etc. Pardon that disclaimer but my homework on the below is more of a starting point, and first and foremost, the safety of these tires, particularly on the stock 20” wheels, is most important and requires more due diligence before making a tire change.)

1. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-23: Blizzaks as a brand are well-regarded. However, the early feedback I've heard is that for heavy vehicles, the Blizzaks do not work quite as well as for lighter vehicles. This is because the tread and compound "flex" a lot from a standing stop, so heavy vehicles have a hard time getting going from a stop. At least, that was the way it was described to me...

2. Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV 5: The reviews on this tire are very positive (for non-ML63’s. I have not seen any review of any winter tire of any brand for the ML63). I have not heard any negatives. One tire dealer told me it would fit on the stock rim; another told me it would not. I was told that the 275/40 is the only 20” size available in the U.S.

3. Nokian WR+2 SUV: These are all-season tires but they also carry the Severe Service Emblem: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=125 The dealers I spoke to only had 275/40/20. I did not consider these tires much bc I want a pure winter tire but they are available.

4. Toyo G-02: these are available in 255/55/20 (may be available in other sizes but the dealer had this particular size in stock). This narrower tire and higher sidewall (relative to stock), while obviously reducing sportiness in ride and handling, seem to make sense in concept for an ML63 winter driver more concerned about safely getting from Point A to Point B than about sport qualities. I am not very familiar with this brand and am not familiar at all with the G-02. The Toyo and other web sites were not very helpful. However, please note MKW’s detailed post that might make one seriously reconsider a 255/55/20: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....8&postcount=48

I’ll continue to post more info as I get it, and I encourage others to do the same here, whether about the above tires or any other tire insight / experiences. Given that it’s mid-November, I’ll probably make a winter tire purchase over the next few weeks (and hopefully I’ll do so before I have a chance to get stuck using the stock wheels/tires).

Thanks,
A-Train
Old 11-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Pirelli

Tirerack is also recommending the Pirelli Scorpion in 275-40 in the 20" wheel. I have used this tire in a 235-55 18 (summer size is 255-55) on my CTT, and thought it offered a pretty good blend of winter/performance driving options. I still hope that someone will come out with a reasonably priced 19" wheel option, so I can go with the MB recommended winter set-up.

Porsche did not recommend an all-season option for the CTT. Does MB specify anything about this for the ML63?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:15 AM

19 inch 9 wide

In my opinion what we need to find is a set of 19 inch rims that are 9 inches wide for a second set of winter tires. They also need to be attractive ,light and strong.

Then you can safely get down to 255 Hakka's. There are a number of options for the stock 20's (Continentals, Pirellis, Nokians, etc - previously posted and summarized on Wolfgang's site (will look for reference)) but this still leaves you swapping the tires off the rims each season unless you can live with the Nokian all weather + 2 with the severe service emblem on your stock 20's.

The problem with the AMG 19's that Mercedes pushes is that they are 9.5 wide and limit you to the Pirelli's. Mercedes knows this and will gouge you. If cost is no concern however the official Pirelli package is certainly hassle free.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 AM

Wolfgang's site:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/wintertires.html
Old 11-22-2006, 08:38 AM
MKW

08 GL450
In Germany, Porsche now has the Nokian WR AWP tire as a factory avail " N-rated " severe service winter tire for their new 997Turbo, etc.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
For the 997Turbo, the Continental TS810S is another N-rated snow tire with severe service rating.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:44 PM

ML63
I recently mounted a set of 275/40/20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on the stock rims. Beforehand, I debated going with an all-season tire to keep as much sport / performance as possible. But I then did a mental reality check of how tough winters can be in the Northeast, so I decided on this true winter tire (at least, as true a winter tire that 275/40/20 can be...).

The car has not yet had an opportunity to be driven in snow. The car has gone about 200 miles so far with the winter tires on, primarily just normal day-to-day driving. Steering response and feel is not quite as sharp as with the stock tires, as is to be expected. Feels like about 10% of the response / sharpness is gone, so it still feels quite good. Road noise seems the same.