ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Break In?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLS 450
Break In?

About to take the jump on buying a new 07 ML 63, my current car is a 2004 Cayenne Turbo. I didnt want to get the new facelifted cayenne since its not really a major change and i was quite surprised with the performance of the ML. I did the stupid thing of buying a chrysler srt8, it was fun in the begining but then i just got sick of it and ended up driving my cayenne more. Any pointers on the break in period if any? I remember with porsche it was really a grey area and no official word on how long to go below 4,000 rpm. I was thinking either black or that greyish silver i saw on the E63 launch. Would appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
Originally Posted by fireo
About to take the jump on buying a new 07 ML 63, my current car is a 2004 Cayenne Turbo. I didnt want to get the new facelifted cayenne since its not really a major change and i was quite surprised with the performance of the ML. I did the stupid thing of buying a chrysler srt8, it was fun in the begining but then i just got sick of it and ended up driving my cayenne more. Any pointers on the break in period if any? I remember with porsche it was really a grey area and no official word on how long to go below 4,000 rpm. I was thinking either black or that greyish silver i saw on the E63 launch. Would appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks
Welcome to the club! This seems to be a huge source of different thinking; if you search the thread you'll find a couple of existing discussions. The primary schools seem to be:

1.) The factory knows best and you should stick with their break-in
2.) If you break it in hard it will be a faster car (call this the E55 method, as that seemed pretty prevalent on that thread)
3.) The "Motorcycle School Of Break-in", which stresses specific usage and rev patterns to cycle the engine to better seat the rings

Personally, I think something between #1 and #3 makes sense. The problem I have with #3 is that there are enough differences between motorcycles and cars -- rev range, torque, and cooling issues -- that I don't think Theory #3 is completely applicable to cars.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Ben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
For the E63, I believe the recommended break-in period was the first 1,000 miles and the following:

- varied speeds
- no kick-downs
- below 80 mph
- below 3,500 rpm
- Comfort mode only (do not use Manual or Sport modes)

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Ben
For the E63, I believe the recommended break-in period was the first 1,000 miles and the following:

- varied speeds
- no kick-downs
- below 80 mph
- below 3,500 rpm
- Comfort mode only (do not use Manual or Sport modes)

Enjoy your new ride!
It was 4,500 RPM for my car.