ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML 63 - A Workhorse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by ldangeli
I was going to use the ML to tow the M3...

I did get the 19's and premium, however the car is being gutted and setup for the track. Already replaced the 19's with 18's and stickies, short shifter, race exhaust, air intake, front CF splitter, rear CF diffuser, waiting for a new static brake setup, CF Trunk with race wing, 5-point harness on the way, seats to be replaced, etc, etc..
Towing the M3 will be the no problem....even if the trailers 2k and the car 3600lbs that's only 5,500 lbs so it will work well. You'll also look like a total mad man arriving with a 507bhp tow rig with cross drilled brake discs

Impressive mod list on that M of yours...big respect...would be interested to hear more about the brake mods when you get chance...I've found track pads and brake lines allow the stockers to last almost as well as a P-car...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Always wanted an ML63 for this exact reason... awesome!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by transferred
Towing the M3 will be the no problem....even if the trailers 2k and the car 3600lbs that's only 5,500 lbs so it will work well. You'll also look like a total mad man arriving with a 507bhp tow rig with cross drilled brake discs

Impressive mod list on that M of yours...big respect...would be interested to hear more about the brake mods when you get chance...I've found track pads and brake lines allow the stockers to last almost as well as a P-car...
Yes, I am still on the same set of pads, but I've been using it mostly for AutoX. I was just researching lines and pads.. So far so good with the M. A little front heavy and understeer becomes and issue, along with oversteer after the correction, but the eibach springs helped a little. Moving to the KW suspension soon.. (adjustable camber and tow, still maintaining EDC)

And yes, it will look odd, in a good way I guess, pulling an M3 with an Ml63. The dealer is just jerking me around. Now I allegedly need a new brake control box, 500 bucks, to control the trailer I bought (featherlite 17'6) because it has electric brakes bringing the grand total to 2k.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
That would be sick!

pulling into a track with your M3 on a trailer being pulled by an ml63...

I got some good props 4 years ago when I pulled into a track with my ML55, 2 ducati's on an open trailer....which isn't even on the same level you're going at.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Latest and greatest news:

The ML is back in the shop for an oil leak. Apparently, I am getting 2 new cylinders, pistons and rings, and a new block! Yay for AMG engineering!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:35 AM

2000 ML55/Kleeman Headers
Theres nothing like passing in tow like a rocket. Especially up hill.

Tow my boats with the 55 and it hits hard and torques out at full throttle. What a blast to tow with. Handles like a dream I tow a boat trailer that can hold four skis and a boat- noproblem for these things.

Originally Posted by sl55dude
I just bought a 34' travel trailer to pull behind my GL450.
Weighs about 7100 pounds before gear, about 8000 after.

Long story short, when the travel trailer store tried to wire up the gl450 with a brake control adjustment (to allow for adjustment of how hard the trailer brakes) they completely fried the entire electrical system.

The GL was towed to the MB shop, and I was left stranded with the trailerabout 250 miles from home.

I made a call to my wife who was driving the ML 63 at the time and she came to pick me up. I was going to leave the trailer there, but was a little mad at the guys and wanted to get my trailer home.

Being the daredevil I am, I hooked the trailer up to the ML63.

The ML performed PERFECT in every aspect.

It accelerated with ease (most of the time faster then the other cars on the road)

I tested the brakes a few times and the AMG brakes brought the whole rig to a stop FASTER then I ever expected. I used to own a truck, and it outbraked even a truck with a trailer.

On the road the ML was very stable once it was put in sport mode.

It got about 8.7 MPG, and might have gotten better but I left it in 4th gear to help.

I am actually considering using the ML instead of the GL to tow the trailer because it performed so great.

Just a little information for those owning and considering a ML 63. Enjoy.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Well aftermuch arguing with my original dealer and switching to a new one for service, the trailer is on, the truck has been towing, and aside from massive break dust (while towing) it is an absolute dream. Here is a crappy iPhone pic, but you get the jist..

Last edited by ldangeli; 07-14-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Where'd the pic go...

Do you have trailer brakes/brake controller? That should help with the brake dust but you probably used to it since you own an M-car...

I've found the IBC on my super duty to work very well, been towing the triple axle fifth wheel and hardly know it's back there....can never have to much power towing and although your mpg isn't good I bet that 6.2 will deliver all the mph you want...
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by transferred
Where'd the pic go...

Do you have trailer brakes/brake controller? That should help with the brake dust but you probably used to it since you own an M-car...

I've found the IBC on my super duty to work very well, been towing the triple axle fifth wheel and hardly know it's back there....can never have to much power towing and although your mpg isn't good I bet that 6.2 will deliver all the mph you want...

So far so good. Yes, Electric brake controller. I went with the SAM from Mercedes. My only complaint is you can't adjust the pressure on the trailer.. We trailered to Englishtown and back on a 1/4 tank 90+ miles round trip at 75 MPH. For me thats DAMN good.

And BTW, I choose an 18' FT Steel, open center trailer, instead of the featherlite. A few reasons, the next logical step will be an enclosed trailer, the steel open deck is actually lighter, and it allows me to get under neath the car like my own personal lift. The cost difference was nominal. 800 bucks I think.

Last edited by ldangeli; 07-14-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM

honda
Nice! Isnt it weird to see such a nice truck towing.. And I'm picking up my new ML63 next week. Have got myself a set of Brabus monoblock V1 wheels (22")..
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Heres a pic of the truck, pulling the car.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
coupla questions re air suspension.

this is an old thread but i hope some of the guys are still around.

couple of questions for exbeemer and idangeli.

exbeemer looks like you're towing your boat with a weight distribution hitch. do you know if the ml is ok to use this type?

idangeli- with the m3 on the trailer and enough tongue weith does the ml63 level itself out?

I tow my e36 m3 with a ml350 (kinda the low end setup to ideangelli!) and have sagging of the rear springs with the proper tongue weight. couple weeks ago i was heading to watkins glen, it was raining that nite and visibility was terrble with headlites pointed to the sky. my solutions are a weight distribution hitch, if it's compatible with the ml- or- get a air suspensioned ml to try to get the truck leveled out. would appreciate any feedback.

thx!
Attached Thumbnails ML 63 - A Workhorse-wgi-ml-m3.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
all ml63's have airmatics

so I believe that leveled itself out...you might be outta luck in your 350.

If it makes you feel better, my ML55 does the same, sags like a... when i pull a boat that is
Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Originally Posted by AWDman
this is an old thread but i hope some of the guys are still around.

couple of questions for exbeemer and idangeli.

exbeemer looks like you're towing your boat with a weight distribution hitch. do you know if the ml is ok to use this type?

idangeli- with the m3 on the trailer and enough tongue weith does the ml63 level itself out?

I tow my e36 m3 with a ml350 (kinda the low end setup to ideangelli!) and have sagging of the rear springs with the proper tongue weight. couple weeks ago i was heading to watkins glen, it was raining that nite and visibility was terrble with headlites pointed to the sky. my solutions are a weight distribution hitch, if it's compatible with the ml- or- get a air suspensioned ml to try to get the truck leveled out. would appreciate any feedback.

thx!
AWDman. I'm running a factory installed class III hitch with the MB air height control suspension pulling a 4500lb boat. The 2007 model ML63/ML350 is rated at 5000lb tow rating, but the 2009+ ML63's are rated at 7000lb. Its a great vehicle to tow with, rivaling my Ford F350. (except my F350 is ponderously slow) I know the air susp is expensive... but it does work. good luck!