ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Cargo Management System: Question???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
Cargo Management System: Question???

Can someone please help me with the following? When I took delivery of my ML63, I asked the salesman to show me where the accessories for the cargo rails were located. He insisted I had to order those separately. Then, when poking around in the spare tire area, I found the little kit with the "knobs" that fit into the two tracks on either side of the cargo area. My kit came with four knobs, four cargo rings, and a retractable cargo "seat belt" to hold items in place.

However, the diagram that comes with the kit depicts a little "fence" that mounts to the rails. This looks to be comprised of two vertical "posts" that attach to the "knobs"; they are connected by two horizontal rails (sorry for all the technical lingo).

It sure looks to me like this was supposed to be included with my car -- can someone tell me what was included with their ML63? I need to get this cleared up with my dealer ASAP...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Almost a Member!

'06 C55 AMG; '07 ML63 AMG
You are for the most part correct. The cargo management system comes with the items you described, including what I believe you mean by the "fence." The "fence" is actually merely a couple of rods that can span the rear cargo area, and in my ML63 it is anchored to the underside of the rear false floor above the spare tire. In any event, it appears that you may be lacking that "fence" portion of the kit. The anchors and rollup "seatbelt" divider are contained in the kit that you found in your spare tire. I also received a bag (about 24" x 5-6") with some additional devices, and the bag was loose in the rear of my truck when I took delivery. I confess that I really haven't inspected and inventoried the bag, and I don't have it with me at my office today, so I'll take a look later and report back. You may be missing that bag as well.

Last edited by smackjack; 04-10-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Almost a Member!

OK, finally was able to open and check out the mysterious black bag that came with my ML63. Turns out it was the cargo divider net, which apparently comes with the Comfort Package, and which I understand is standard on the ML63. This is basically a system designed to keep your cargo or dog confined to the rear, and it is not actually part of the Integrated Cargo Management System. For me, along with the standard retractable cargo compartment cover, this will be a useless accessory, and I will toss it in my box of interesting but never-used "stuff."

Bottom line, the Integrated Cargo Management System that comes standard on the ML63 includes only (1) the package of anchors and miscellaneous accessories that is nested in the spare tire and (2) the aluminum "fence" that rides on the underside of the rear false floor. However, the ML63 kit does NOT include the cargo management divider system that attaches to rails that are installed along both vertical sides of the rear cargo area. That system, which you can see on page 30 of the M-Class Accessories brochure, appears to be a separate optional accessory system.

The terminology used by MB is very confusing, as MB uses the same general term ("cargo management system") for multiple features. When I took delivery of my ML63, there was some confusion because I had been told that the ML63 Integrated Cargo Management System included a collapsible cargo "box," but there was no such box to be found. There was a bit of scrambling around before we all concluded that that I had simply received wrong information. The problem is compounded by the fact that ML63's are so rare that most dealers don't deliver enough of them to be familiar with these little details.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by smackjack; 04-11-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks -- I agree that Mercedes needs to improve their terminology, as both the customers AND the dealers seem to be confused...
Old 04-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by brt3
Thanks -- I agree that Mercedes needs to improve their terminology, as both the customers AND the dealers seem to be confused...
It was a hilarious affair when I took delivery of my ML63. No one seemed to know what was and was not included in the cargo management system that was standard equipment on the truck. A classic "who's on first" scene.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by smackjack
It was a hilarious affair when I took delivery of my ML63. No one seemed to know what was and was not included in the cargo management system that was standard equipment on the truck. A classic "who's on first" scene.
I know what you mean. My salesman told me that all my car came with were the tracks in the floor. I insisted there were accessories; he insisted there were not. I get in the car to drive off, and take about 5 minutes to adjust the seat, mirrors, etc.. Just as I'm starting to drive off he comes running out with another salesman; this guys shows us both the kit in the spare tire...

Even better; when I first drove the ML63 I told the dealer it was the worst-handling pig I'd ever driven. After posting here it's pretty clear they had the car set up in "off-road" spec. These things are rare enough that some of the details elude the dealers. Heck, even MB-USA has huge flaws in the ML63 "order online" page; they list options that are included on the car, since they just lifted the page from the ML500...