ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML55..Sad to say but I think it's History

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55..Sad to say but I think it's History

To me it is sad that Mercedes has dropped the ML55. I have driven a 2000 2 1/2 years and think it is one of the BEST looking MLs made. My question is why? Why drop it

Is there much difference between the 2000 to the 2001 or the latest 2002?

Will they re-introduce it with the new body still? The model with 390+ Hp....

If anyone has any pics I need to see them, Please Post them..It may be a MUST Have situation

Thanks in advance
JpN
Old 10-09-2002, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
I also think the dropping of the US ML55 is odd, plus the fact that no press report, etc. was made on it.

However, I was looking at the worldwide MB site, and it appears that in places other than the US, the ML55 AMG is alive and well. See this link below:

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/.../lines_amg.htm

Regarding the '00 vs. '01 vs. '02, the '01 got many improvements over the '00 model - many little problems, as well as some new traction and downhill control technology. No visual changes were made though. For the '02, the ML was facelifted - the visible changes included: freshened exterior with new head and tail lamps, new front and rear bumper covers, new side view mirrors (with built-in turn signal) and for the interior, a new center console, a real (intelligent) climate control system with a separate unit for the back (built into rear center console), as well as a few minor changes. But over 1200 new parts were added, and most of the problems with quality control, etc. were fixed. Also small things such as the window switches were changed to be more reliable.

The '03 gets a DVD Nav module, but you can put that into any 2000 or newer ML (any ML with the MCS unit).

The next-generation (W164) M-Class will probably appear for the 2005 model year, being introduced in late 2004. It will reportedly have a smoother ride, along with a new airmatic suspension such as that in the S-Class and the new E-Calss. The upcoming GST (Grand Sport Tourer) will also share the ML's platform and many other mechanical components. The next-gen G-Class (or the supposed MLG) may also ride on a modified W164 chassis.

That's basically an overview of what is known about the W164. For more information, as well as spy pictures of it, see:

http://www.mbspy.com/w164.htm

As far as why MB decided to axe the ML55 for '03, that's still something to wonder about - no official word on it but I suspect they might want to pull it out before it loses the title of the fastest production SUV, which is something the Porsche Cayenne Turbo (which also costs about as much as 2 ML55's) might want to dispute.

They might have a plan to bring it back in the W164 2005 ML as a ML55 Kompressor AMG, which would have the SL55 Kompressor AMG's engine (which is the 5.5L V8 but with a supercharger that boosts it from 349HP to around 500HP). That would probably be very competitive with the Cayenne Turbo, and would still cost much much less than the Porsche.

Wouldn't that be nice - the horsepower race extends to SUV's. And I imagine that BMW would then add an M version of their X5 to compete.

Anyway, here is a nice photo from passion-auto that shows the '02 ML in front, and a prototype GST in the middle, with the prototype next-gen ML in the rear.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Here's another spy pic of the next-gen ML from passion-auto. Keep in mind though that these might not be accurate as they sometimes try to mislead people. lol.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW E39 M5
Originally posted by mbakshi
Wouldn't that be nice - the horsepower race extends to SUV's. And I imagine that BMW would then add an M version of their X5 to compete.
There will be no M version of X5. M-cars have CLUTCHES, not torque converters :p
Old 10-10-2002, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by rost12
There will be no M version of X5. M-cars have CLUTCHES, not torque converters :p
So then they would make an M-designed car that is not officially an M, such as some of the older 8-series, which were designed and even made by the M division but were badged as normal BMWs, or like the X5 4.6is, which was in many areas designed by the M division but was not labeled an M.

If they made such a car, maybe with the next M5's V10 engine, they would ignite the rest of the luxury SUV industry as well. The competitors would be plenty - to start, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, the ML55 Kompressor (if they made this), a tuned version of the Volvo XC90 (I forgot what their performance division is called), the performance version of the Cadillac SRX (again, I don't remember the division's name), and many more.

But if they make an ML55 Kompressor, along with better handling and perhaps less weight, that would be definitely the best luxo-performance SUV out there. It would have all the comforts, luxury, technology, and safety of a normal MB, the off-road and bad-weather capability of an SUV, and a performance level that would beat any competitor in its price range.

I had actually forgotten, there was some news a couple months ago about the '03 ML55 being a limited-production vehicle and that it was not discontinued - people have posted what seem to be memos to dealers. However if it is not discontinued, that would be really strange, as the '03 ML's have been sold for many months now and why would they make the ML55 a late-entry.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:31 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW E39 M5
4.6is was not given and "M" in its name for the exact reason I mentioned - no manual gearbox. I don't think this will change in the future. I hope not
High performance SUV is an oxymoron anyhow :p

I think performance Volvo's get an "R" in their name, recent S60R is an example.
I'm again not sure a company like Volvo will give in to this craze of "performance" SUV. Volvo's much to logical and practical for that

"that would be definitely the best luxo-performance SUV out there. It would have all the comforts, luxury, technology, and safety of a normal MB, the off-road and bad-weather capability of an SUV"

Your are a bit misguided, me thinks. BMW's X5 alleged off-road capability is non-existent. I've read about them getting stuck in sand! I'm pretty sure that with the "performance" version of ML55 and it's tires it is no better.

So, by getting MB E-500 4-matic you'll get all you listed Smarter choice, IMHO.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
In that quote you mentioned - I was referring to the ML55, not the X5. The X5 has no off-road capabilities at all, and is very unpractical - it is for people who are happy with the space of a coupe but want an sports SUV.

IMO the ML55 offers a very good balance of the advanced 4wd system and the capabilities along with the good aspects of the other MLs, along with performance that can match, if not beat, its rivals.

But that's only if you have to have an SUV - as you said, the E500 4Matic would be a good choice in that case, or for the best of both worlds, the E55 4Matic Wagon, which is sold in other countries. An E55 Kompressor 4Matic Wagon would be the ultimate in each direction - styling, performance, comfort, space, and 4wd. Or maybe the S500 4Matic if you like that.