ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

2008 ML 63 Snowtires needed? Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 C55 AMG; '07 ML63 AMG
Changing tires again on my ML63. Had my Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assymetricos (305/45-20) replaced today with Yokohama A/T-S's (also 305/45-20). The Pirelli's were outstanding tires, and I had no complaints about them, but they are all-season tires, and I wanted something a bit more aggressive for inclement weather and the occasional off-road action.

The Yokos, while nominally the same size as the Pirellis, actually are spec'd at about .4" taller overall (per Tire Rack), so I was a bit concerned about fitment, especially since the Pirellis were already both a size taller and a size wider. So far, so good - no rubbing issues at all. Tested at highway speed (for high-speed lowering issues), as well as low-speed lock-to-lock turning. The only test I haven't been able to run yet is hard cornering over a bump (e.g. turning into a residential driveway) or rough surface to achieve some suspension compression. They balanced up nicely, and they look absolutely awesome. I'll post a more thorough review after I have some miles on the tires.

FWIW, the Pirellis had 10k miles on them when they came off today, and they still had plenty of tread-life left. I'm guessing that they easily would have been good for 25k miles. Wear was much better than the stock OEM Continentals, which were nearly ready for replacement after only 10k miles.

BTW, for you fellas who are ready for new tires, you might consider going bigger in size. I put 10k miles on my 305/45-20 Pirellis over a period of about seven months, and I can unequivocally say that up-sizing was the right thing to do for me. I realize that my speedo now reads slightly slow (about 3-4 mph by my calculation), but that's a very minor issue to me. I have had no problems whatsoever otherwise.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:53 AM

Tirerack had a good deal on a winter setup for the ml63 - just picked up a full set of Rial Porto's w/ pirelli scorpions, mounted w/ tpms sensors for about $2500 shipped. Wont have to worry about wheels or tires in the chicago area now.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 AM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
I have a set of OEM (WITH TPMS sensors) AMG ML63 rims and Vredenstein wintertrac 4's with 1/2 a seaon's use - (See Prior Post by me in the Thread)

I am trading in my ML63 and am not going to need them, so. let me know.

As I noted in the prior thread, the Vredensteins are hands down The best tires I have used in the winter - they wear like iron, handle in the Dry great as well as in the rain and snow - are not loud and are very comfortable.

Cheers......