ML55 problems-help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000-ML55-AMG
Question ML55 problems-help!

hi everybody,
i own a 2000 ml55 w/ apprx. 75000miles on it. i bought it about a year ago and i've been pretty happy with the car except a few problems. i had a problem with the windows (they won't go up or down) but that ended up not being a big deal (i had to change that thing that plugs in the fuze box for about $25)
another problem i have right now is with the transmision! i'd step on the gas and the car just won't go(sort of running out of gas) and the days when it's not that bad it drives fine for up to 25-30mph and then when i try to go faster it just would rev up and not change gears...i'm really worried about this problem, anybody knows what the problem might be? i forgot to add that i went -1000 miles without servicing it, could that be it? how much will it cost to fix it?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 E55
get it flushed, fluid replaced compleatly. Will not hurt and might cure the problem.
Also I'd get it diagnosed for any error codes.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by hellaslover
hi everybody,
i own a 2000 ml55 w/ apprx. 75000miles on it. i bought it about a year ago and i've been pretty happy with the car except a few problems. i had a problem with the windows (they won't go up or down) but that ended up not being a big deal (i had to change that thing that plugs in the fuze box for about $25)
another problem i have right now is with the transmision! i'd step on the gas and the car just won't go(sort of running out of gas) and the days when it's not that bad it drives fine for up to 25-30mph and then when i try to go faster it just would rev up and not change gears...i'm really worried about this problem, anybody knows what the problem might be? i forgot to add that i went -1000 miles without servicing it, could that be it? how much will it cost to fix it?
It may be the MAF sensor.

You have the same symptons that my ML55 had that after I replaced the MAF sensor. It would idle fine. If you tried to accelerate, it acted like something was wrong with the transmission....the engine would rev but not upshift. Would not go faster than 40 mph. Do a search on this forum and see if others experienced the same problem.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 AM

2000-ML55-AMG
yes. i went to the mechanic and said i ll need a new air flow sensor. along with a tune up (3 cylinders misfiring) should fix the problem. thing is, he said it will cost 500 for the sensor and 500 for the tune up+trans service, and 250 to change front brakes.
comes to 1200-1400$
do these prices sound reasonable? i looked online for sensors and i see that they cost 100-250, am i getting ripped off??
Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM

00' ML 55 AMG; 08' Jeep Wrangler Unlimted (4 Door)
Originally Posted by hellaslover
yes. i went to the mechanic and said i ll need a new air flow sensor. along with a tune up (3 cylinders misfiring) should fix the problem. thing is, he said it will cost 500 for the sensor and 500 for the tune up+trans service, and 250 to change front brakes.
comes to 1200-1400$
do these prices sound reasonable? i looked online for sensors and i see that they cost 100-250, am i getting ripped off??

Depends....

Do you know how to do any basic type of service on your vehicle?

You could do your own brakes pretty reasonably, and changing the MAF is pretty idiot proof.

Get another quote about the tune-up and Trans service. I got my tune up/60K service for about 300. I just did not have time, but it included all needed parts (filters, 16 Spark plugs, etc.)