Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Why did you buy an ML63 AMG?

Here is an interesting question to the members of this forum:

Why did you buy an ML63 AMG?

I am very curious to hear what the reasons and motivations were for anyone here who has actually bought or leased a ML63 AMG, or is planning on doing so. Some reasons may be pretty obvious, some others not so obvious, and some probably quite unique.

Here are my reasons for leasing a 2007 ML63 AMG:

SUV’s/SAV’s - I like the BMW moniker “SAV”. Over time it has evolved from a pure marketing term to a name of a category that the X5 and ML actually fall into. That is an 4-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle with decent storage capacity, that comes close to the size of a SUV, but has no pretensions of really being effective for off-road conditions or use. I have had two BMW X5’s over a six year period, a ’01 and a ’04, and really like the way they both handled and performed, being the most car-like of any of vehicle in its category, including the ML55 at the time.

Power - At the same time as having the ’04 X5, I also had an ’04 M-B E55 AMG which totally corrupted me towards truly enjoying brute acceleration capability from its supercharged AMG engine. Last year, when the leases were ending on the X5 and E55, I decided that I wanted my next daily driver to be more functional than the E55, while not sacrificing the performance capability. This meant that I really wanted a vehicle that has an acceleration capability of going 0-60 mph in under 5 seconds. Also, my wife wanted to get a smaller car that would be fast, fun, reliable and easy to park. The result was her ’07 BMW 335ci with the Sport Package. That meant for my vehicle, which would be a daily driver, I had to take into account our other vehiclular needs, as well as my desires. It had to be practical, (well ok, sort of practical….), functional and fun. Specifically, in addition to it being a SAV with significant performance capabilities it had to have all of the following:

Aesthetics - A vehicle that I think looks very good (obviously a very personal and subjective opinion) and one that you do not see all the time. I appreciate a certain level of uniqueness of the vehicles I drive. (That is part of the reason I added the full Aero Kits to both of my previous X5's.) The ML63 certainly satisfies this with just less than 1,000 being sold in North America for the ’07 model year.

All-Wheel Drive - All-wheel drive for the approx. 14 days of snow covered roads here in the Northeast US. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my ML63’s 20” wheels and OEM Continental tires were actually able to work ok (slow driving), on light snow covered roads this past winter. I have no illusions that they would work in 6” or more of snow covered roads, realizing that I would really need to have a second set of narrower 18” or 19” wheels fitted with true snow tires to use the vehicle in a normal way.

Cargo Capacity - Enough space to accommodate my wife’s and my luggage when we travel around the eastern seaboard on vacation. That means two (2) cart-size golf club bags, our luggage which usually includes four (4) suitcases / garment bags of varying sizes, one insulated cooler and one case of wine, and any other stuff that for whatever reason we want to also bring along for God only knows why…. (This means we need to utilize the entire back seat area as well as the cargo area). All of this would fit into most SAV’s.

High Driver’s Position - A high, (or higher compared to a regular car), driver’s seating position for better road visibility.

M-B Tele Aid - Some form of satellite-based communication system for its safety value, above and beyond what one can do with a normal cell phone/blackberry. (This eliminated the Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover)

Quality - Solid build/assembly quality and quality of materials. (This eliminated the Range Rover)

Service - Excellent Dealership attention and service

An important note here: Thankfully, I am able to afford a vehicle that approaches $100,000 (US). Also, I was willing to sacrifice good gas mileage if I could have all of my other requirements met. That decision is and will continue to be an expensive one and certainly is not the socially/politically correct one today. These reasons really narrowed down my consideration to the offerings from BMW and Mercedes-Benz and specifically the X5 and ML63.

Some of you may ask why I did not consider the ’07 E63 AMG wagon. I did, for about a minute. I am old enough to have memories of riding in our family’s station wagon as a kid and really have a negative psychological stigma associated with wagons in general. It is not really rational, since the E63 wagon is an excellent vehicle and meets all of my criteria listed above, except for the high driver’s position and costs less that the fully outfitted ML63. It is a good, if not better choice for some, but not me.

Those are my reasons. What were or are yours?

AVB-AMG
Attached Thumbnails Why did you buy an ML63 AMG?-avb-s-61-m-b-190sl.jpg  

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 04-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
My first "SUV" was a 2006 BMW X3. I was very excited when I first bought it then I realized it was too small and too slow.
I then started looking at the current X5 but at the time it wasnt out yet. Months later while I was still contemplating wether I should get an X5 I saw pictures of the ML63 and it was a wrap for me. I totally forgot about the X5 and headed straight to the Mercedes-Benz dealership. There was something that really really bothered me about BMW interior and to this day I still feel the same way about their designs, add to that I really cant stand their iDrive system.
Had some financial problems which didnt allow me to purchase the ML63 at the time and now im just waiting for the 09' to hit the showrooms.
I really am happy I didnt go for the X5 because they're already all over in Geneva where I live. We have plenty of ML's but the AMG is still kind of rare so whenever I see one im amazed.
I gave the X3 to my mom & now she wants to get rid of it for a Q7. The legroom and trunk space just isnt enough for roadtrips and with 2kids.

White ML63 AMG>>>>>>> Any other sports SUV
Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
I came to my ML63 purchase in a different manner. I have been a sedan owner for many years including BMW, Lexus and Mercedes. My last car was also an '04 E55 supercharged rocket. A car I truly loved and enjoyed until my wife totaled it in May 2006. Instead of buying another E55, I decided to hold out and wait for the E63 coming out in September. (of course all BMW's except the 6 series were out of the question since they had been "Bangled" so badly) When it finally arrived in Sept. I was dissapointed with the acceleration. I actually thought the 63 engine was a step back for the E class. But as I was leaving the dealership, I was awestruck by two newly arrived ML63's on the lot.

After struggling to changing mental gears I leased the ML (Leased instead of bought just in case I didn't like it) And now I don't think I can ever go back to a sedan as a daily driver again. The ML63 does it all... hauls my Boat and Jet Ski's... has plenty of interior space... hauls *** like there is no tomorrow. I have decided to buy my ML at lease end since I can't picture any other vehicle that so fill my desires.

One day after I saw the ML63, I leased one (both at the dealership actually sold the same day) I would highly recomend an ML63 to any BMW or Porsche shopper.

Someday when all these gas guzzling monsters are outlawed, I'll look back and grin from ear to ear with the memories.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
I want my first truck to be special.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 AM

Keep them coming.....

Now I know that there are quite a few people in this forum with strong opinions... I am not the only one here who is curious to hear your story. Let's hear from you as to why you bought or are in the process of buying a M-B ML63 AMG.

AVB-AMG
Old 04-12-2008, 11:24 AM

ML63, Audi s4 cab, SL 55 (sold)
[QUOTE=AVB-AMG;2762798]Now I know that there are quite a few people in this forum with strong opinions... I am not the only one here who is curious to hear your story. Let's hear from you as to why you bought or are in the process of buying a M-B ML63 AMG.

AVB-AMG
[/QU
After owning many cars prior to my ML63 including very many high performance cars (ferrari,Sl55,porsche etc) i mainly drove whilst owning these vehicles various Range Rovers for comfort,driving position,convenience etc.

I always sought a vehicle that had virtually everything a range rover had but with supercar performance and after now owning my ML63 for over 1 year and covering almost 20,000 miles i have absolutely no desire to swap for any other car. It is without doubt for me the very best car i have ever owned.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Why I didn't bite on the ML63

Originally Posted by AVB-AMG
Now I know that there are quite a few people in this forum with strong opinions... I am not the only one here who is curious to hear your story. Let's hear from you as to why you bought or are in the process of buying a M-B ML63 AMG.

AVB-AMG
I have owned many AMG vehicles over the years and almost bit on a new ML63 until I watched Youtube this past fall 2007 and saw numerous 63's get "owned" in the 0-60 and drags by Jeep's very hot Cherokee Srt-8. I figured that for less than 1/2 the price (its not all about $$), I could get a vehicle that was at least equal to a ML63 in real world everyday performance in the Chicago area (which means more or less, stop light to stop light) in 1/4 or 1/8 mile increments. Worse, the hot rodded SRT-8 Cherokee can be modded for thousands less (and there are more modders for them too) than the 63. Sure, the Cherokee does not have the build quality nor the panache of the Benz, but the money saved allowed me to get a C32 which is easily tarted to beat most cars, including the venerable M-3. Thus my dilemma, bite on a 63 or get the Cherokee and the C32. I opted NOT to get the 63. Now that the 09 is on our doorsteps, I am glad I waited and may just jump on that with its superior looks (to me anyway) and slight touch of bling. Someone has to out- bling the Escalades and Navigators in Chicagoland. Outbling the 09 does!!!!!!!!!!! Hate to say it, but the 09 makes the 07 63 look like the difference between the old ML55 and the new ML63. The wheels are awesome, the LEDs in the rear make it look modern and updated. Night and day. Sometimes patience in the car world does pay off.

Glenn
Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
AMG Enuff said..

ML63 (According to Edmunds, 0-60 in 4.7) Jeep SRT8, with ac delco parts and plastic, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 60-0 in 120 feet. Not that either is a slacker, but Jeeps are made for taking the tops and the doors off. AMG's are hand built works of art. Picasso or a 6 yr olds finger painting?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by ldangeli
ML63 (According to Edmunds, 0-60 in 4.7) Jeep SRT8, with ac delco parts and plastic, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 60-0 in 120 feet. Not that either is a slacker, but Jeeps are made for taking the tops and the doors off. AMG's are hand built works of art. Picasso or a 6 yr olds finger painting?
I don't know where your "published" stats are from, BUT every article, from Autoweek to Motortrend has the Jeep in the high 4 second range. Go to www.dragtimes.com and you'll see "real" time slips with no BS. Again, I preface this because the ML63 is a gorgeous vehicle. No Doubt. But from a real world performance view, that is light to light, the Jeep performance-wise is the real thing and is easily modded. I thing the stretch from Picasso to a 6 year old is a bit much, since we're talking about performance and times and nothing so subjective as "art."

The drags I found on that site confirm that the SRT-8 is every bit as "quick" as the ML-63 and the ONLY place where the 63 is beating it is beyond the 1/4 mile. I did a search for stock vehicles and BOTh ran in the low 13s in the 104-106 range. For the $$ (again, my preface), that is one quick vehicle for the money. The times do not lie.

Glenn
Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I don't know where your "published" stats are from, BUT every article, from Autoweek to Motortrend has the Jeep in the high 4 second range. Go to www.dragtimes.com and you'll see "real" time slips with no BS. Again, I preface this because the ML63 is a gorgeous vehicle. No Doubt. But from a real world performance view, that is light to light, the Jeep performance-wise is the real thing and is easily modded. I thing the stretch from Picasso to a 6 year old is a bit much, since we're talking about performance and times and nothing so subjective as "art."

The drags I found on that site confirm that the SRT-8 is every bit as "quick" as the ML-63 and the ONLY place where the 63 is beating it is beyond the 1/4 mile. I did a search for stock vehicles and BOTh ran in the low 13s in the 104-106 range. For the $$ (again, my preface), that is one quick vehicle for the money. The times do not lie.

Glenn
Definitely not arguing the quickness of either, but its still a jeep. I saw the times on edmunds and a few other places. Light to light, I don't know. If the jeep is high 4's, lik 4.8, 4.9, so is the ML63. At that point, its up to the driver. There are tons of sites, www.trucktrend.com, edmunds.com, cars.com, etc that show factory specs for the Jeep at 5.0+ 0-60 and 13.5 for the 1/4 mile. They also show the ML63 at 4.8 0-60 and 13.0 flat in the 1/4 mile. So at that point it is really up to the driver. Since money is not an issue here, MY PERSONAL preference is the AMG over the Jeep. IMHO, its still jeep quality, which again, unless your pulling the doors and top off, and forging 10 inches of water, there is no comparison.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Why I didnt buy an ML 63

So at that point it is really up to the driver. Since money is not an issue here, MY PERSONAL preference is the AMG over the Jeep. IMHO, its still jeep quality, which again, unless your pulling the doors and top off, and forging 10 inches of water, there is no comparison.[/QUOTE]

You just made my point, thank you. Its all about personal preference and when that new 2009 ML63 with the LEDs and the gorgeous wheels rolls off the line this summer, I may be the first in the Illinois line to get one. I just couldn't justify buying the 07-08 knowing that Mercedes is fickle and like always, has to change a good thing. I almost felt like a chumo putting $$ down on a GL 450 when I heard that the GL550 was out. In fact, this is the very reason I am waiting for the 09 C63 to arrive since it will have the performance package with higher speed limiter and LSD, something that no 08 C63 will have.

It does pay to wait for Mercedes to upgrade their vehicles. I have never been a early adopter of any product.

Glenn
Old 04-14-2008, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Really. I thought your point was that the jeep was definitely faster? I ordered an 09 originally but after seeing it in Germany, I went with the 08. Personal preference. Didn't like the lack of front grill or the year drop lights up front or the c class style dash. Personal preference. Besides the fact I am extremely impatient. Since I go through cars every 12 to 18 months maybe the 09 will grow on me and I will pick it up.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Almost a Member!

08' ML550
If you think it pays to wait-I think not. While you are waiting you are not driving the vehicle you want to drive.
What do you think is going to happen in 2010? You finally get the '09 and
Mercedes throws in all kinds of upgrades and or new add ons for '10 and what do you have-a 09' that is not quite as complete, as fast, or has options that are included in the 10'. What if the 2010 has a better trans or has a slightly more hp 6.3?
Will you wish you waited for the 2010?
Since you believe the SRT8 is faster than the 63, (I too have read the reports and watched the YouTube Video and if you notice you don't hear the 63 launch at rev's-If you want to really leave the line hard you have to leave in your power band. Once the SRT8 jumps the 63 it takes time for the 63 to get into it's power band and then the seperation between the trucks reduces.
I believe the 2 vehicles are VERY close-driver is everything in that situation)
what are you going to do when the SRT8 takes you one day off a light in your 09' 63?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Why I didnt buy the ML 63

Since you believe the SRT8 is faster than the 63, (I too have read the reports and watched the YouTube Video and if you notice you don't hear the 63 launch at rev's-If you want to really leave the line hard you have to leave in your power band. Once the SRT8 jumps the 63 it takes time for the 63 to get into it's power band and then the seperation between the trucks reduces.
I believe the 2 vehicles are VERY close-driver is everything in that situation)
what are you going to do when the SRT8 takes you one day off a light in your 09' 63?[/QUOTE]

Will you wish you waited for the 2010? Yes, if it has an 8 speed ala the New Lexus IS-F!! Absolutely. Herein lies the rub. With the net, we know immediately what they are doing or within months and I pulled my order to my dealers chagrin for the 08 C63, knowing that the 09 C63 has the performance package, LSD and 185 limiter. Cant get that nor retrofit on an 08, so yes, its worth the wait!!!

As far as the Cherokee, my point was NOT that its necessarily faster (although in the 1/4 it has given many a 63 a shellacking), BUT for the $$, its not a bad truck and certainly capable for around the town, Chicago stoplight to stoplight racing. Rarely here do we get a chance to go over 100 MPH without getting a love letter from the IL State Police or someone calling you in on their cell phone. So, for the local drags, RTE 66 and Great Lakes Dragaway, the Cherokee is certainly a great truck and thats why I didn't get the 63 to replace my 01 ML 55. Plus the fact that many of us knew there was an update coming from Fall 07, I am even happier that I didnt. Knowing that the 09 is styling and those to die for wheels, I am glad I waited.

As I told Louis, its all a matter of personal preference. Kudos to you if you have the 63. Its a great SUV.

Glenn
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE

As far as the Cherokee, my point was NOT that its necessarily faster (although in the 1/4 it has given many a 63 a shellacking), B
And there in lies the problem with the internet, everyother website that I saw, showed the 63 at .5 sec faster in the 1/4 mile. Every website you saw said the SRT8 was faster. Honestly I don't give a crap. Perfect example, I beat a 997 Twin turbo this morning on my way to work. Why??? Cause the driver missed a gear. So does that mean my 63 is faster? um, no, means I didn't screw up. LLike we've said a 1000 times, comes down to personal preference. Me, personally, I didn't see the need to wait for the tiny changes to the ML63. my personal opinion.

So which one are you getting? You've thus far mentioned the ML63 and the C63? Which one is it?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Oh what to do about the 63?

[ .

So which one are you getting? You've thus far mentioned the ML63 and the C63? Which one is it?[/QUOTE]

As a former SCCA driver, Pro Solo and Solo II and ITS and ITC Series, I agree that often it is the driver. Although that Porsche driver is checking his pants and his purchase contract and saying , I paid what to get beat like that?? It happens. When I ran G Stock Class in the early 90s in a Olds Achieva SCX (not an SC but an SCX), I often ran better times than the Acura NSX and some Porsche 911s. Why, because of my theory that some guys and gals have "more money than brains (or ability) and come to the track thinking that they can beat you just because they have a better car." They do it on the street too. I have gone to many a track day with Benz and BMW (where they try to sell you their cars) and am on line with Benz's AMG Owner site. We have done Joliet and some of the damn crappiest drivers I have seen (You in the Gallardo know who you are) have the best cars, certainly nicer than mine (C32 and ML 55), but they can't driver for squat. My son calls them poseurs and I agree, they have the driving shoes with their name and suit with their name and blood type and I just crack up when I beat them and then say, "And you paid what for that car??? " They dont know lines, flags, the 100% rule, apexes, trail braking, heel/toe (although with an auto this is slowly going away), drifting, the Swedish flick, none of these things. They know consulting and stocks and bonds (god bless them, they are successful). I care about the cars set-up, the toe, camber, brake pressure, tire temps and pressures, safety wiring, no anti-freeze in radiator on race day, and all those things the SCCA taught me. OK, so this is more info than you wanted to know. I sound like Led Zepplin (Ramble ON)

OK, to answer the question, I am going to bite on the C63 with the Hard to get and must be ordered Performance Package for 2009. I am hearing late fall availability (because of the LSD and control module for speed limiter).

Glenn
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
Below is one of my earlier post regarding the performance among ML63, SRT8 and the Cayenne Turbo. It was primary comparing the Cayenne Turbo against the ML63 but the SRT8 is included. It's dated May 3rd and quoting in think the June 07 issue of the Automobile magazine.

But no question about it, for the price one is paying, the SRT8 is a complete bargain.

Notice the SRT8 only got the jump off the line, and nip the ML by 0.1sec at 60 , but by the time they hit 100 the ML63 is GONE.

Also notice the 30-70 time, 4.4 vs 5.1.

One word, WOW.

The ML63 completely annihilated the 08 Cayenne Turbo into pieces.

0-60 0-100 0-120 30-70 1/4mile

ML63 4.5 10.9 15.9 4.4 13.1@109

Cayenne Turbo 5.1 12.8 18.6 4.9 13.6@106

Jeep SRT8 4.4 11.4 17.7 5.1 13.2@105

How badly can one be defeated? Seriously, if the difference were 0.1 second I could chalk it up to reaction time and timing error etc. But it was quit a shock to see so much gap between these 2 trucks.

Unless someone is really keen on seeing a Porsche in the driveway, there is really no reason to buy the Cayenne Turbo, the performance is just embarrassing for what the car was billed for, heck a even a Jeep costing half as much can dance all around it. This coming from a Porsche owner no less.

From the 4 ML63s that I have personally seen, the build quality and fit and finish is on par with Porsche, imo I think it's actually BETTER than Porsche, the few Cayennes that I have driven all have little defects that I can spot.

One last Ace up the ML63's sleeve, if I see a VW Toureg next to me I wouldn't feel like I have been stripped, robbed and raped by Porsche knowing the Cayenne IS a lowly VW Toureg with nicer trims and stronger engines.

Granted the Porsche won the braking test from 70-0 by 4 feet, but the ML63 really got a knock out win.

For comparison sake the ML63 and the Porsche are in the same cross-shopped category and the Jeep is in a totally different price bracket. As I have opinionated I consider difference of 0.1 seconds to be within margin of error so I would consider the Jeep and ML63 to have the tied the 0-60 time.

For a truck that cost half as much the performance from SRT8 is quite commendable, but at the end of the day it's not really a truck in the same cross-shop category.

This article basically validated my decision to go for the ML63 instead of a Cayenne Turbo, it was one of the smartest decision I have made. ML63 IS the new benchmark for all sports truck to be measured.

Last edited by Whoopsy; 04-15-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
For a truck that cost half as much the performance from SRT8 is quite commendable, but at the end of the day it's not really a truck in the same cross-shop category.

Touche and well stated. I was just saying that in my quest to replace the ML 55, I was rather surprised that the Jeep did so well again st a car more than twice its price. Again, the Jeep is not a Benz, no one is stating otherwise. Its just that when I pay 90 K for a truck, I wanna win at all costs and the Jeep doesnt allow me to do that, particularly when its modded or supercharged and running in the low 12s and 11s.

Doesnt matter, my truck days are over and I am opting for the C63 this fall

Glenn
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 PM

Summation.... So Far........

Well, from reading all of these interesting posts on this thread, it appears that the selection criteria of those people who have expressed their opinion can be subjectively ranked in the order of importance as follows:

1. The desire for fast, exhilarating speed, primarily neck-wrenching, grin-inducing acceleration. (Faster than the other high-end SAV Porsche Cayenne Turbo)
2. Uniqueness, compared to the other SUV/SAV's on the road in your respective areas. (you don't see that many MB ML63 AMG's around, now do you.....)
3. Capacity to accommodate 4 people and their stuff (well, we have to rationalize it somehow to the family and neighbors....)
4. Ability to tow things, trailers, boats, wave runners, etc. (best looking and most capable SUV/SAV hauler on the road!)
5. Mercedes-Benz reputation, (i.e. quality, prestige, and the fact that it is not a Jeep!)

Agreed.....?

AVB-AMG
Attached Thumbnails Why did you buy an ML63 AMG?-alex_bergo-1-.jpg  

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 04-15-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Couldn't agreed with you more, well put.

On the SRT-8 Jeep vs. ML63 debate, sure the SRT-8 is fast and can be modded to put out great numbers, but if you want something that runs 11's or 12's with little money spent, I would start with a real sports car instead of a truck, but if one insist on getting a truck to do so, hands down to the SVT Lightning, it's still my most favorite truck out there, and if SVT is ever bringing out the name again, I would get one without a second thought.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
2manycars - i am so jealous of you lineup in your garage - any pics?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
[ .

So which one are you getting? You've thus far mentioned the ML63 and the C63? Which one is it?

As a former SCCA driver, Pro Solo and Solo II and ITS and ITC Series, I agree that often it is the driver. Although that Porsche driver is checking his pants and his purchase contract and saying , I paid what to get beat like that?? It happens. When I ran G Stock Class in the early 90s in a Olds Achieva SCX (not an SC but an SCX), I often ran better times than the Acura NSX and some Porsche 911s. Why, because of my theory that some guys and gals have "more money than brains (or ability) and come to the track thinking that they can beat you just because they have a better car." They do it on the street too. I have gone to many a track day with Benz and BMW (where they try to sell you their cars) and am on line with Benz's AMG Owner site. We have done Joliet and some of the damn crappiest drivers I have seen (You in the Gallardo know who you are) have the best cars, certainly nicer than mine (C32 and ML 55), but they can't driver for squat. My son calls them poseurs and I agree, they have the driving shoes with their name and suit with their name and blood type and I just crack up when I beat them and then say, "And you paid what for that car??? " They dont know lines, flags, the 100% rule, apexes, trail braking, heel/toe (although with an auto this is slowly going away), drifting, the Swedish flick, none of these things. They know consulting and stocks and bonds (god bless them, they are successful). I care about the cars set-up, the toe, camber, brake pressure, tire temps and pressures, safety wiring, no anti-freeze in radiator on race day, and all those things the SCCA taught me. OK, so this is more info than you wanted to know. I sound like Led Zepplin (Ramble ON)

OK, to answer the question, I am going to bite on the C63 with the Hard to get and must be ordered Performance Package for 2009. I am hearing late fall availability (because of the LSD and control module for speed limiter).

Glenn[/QUOTE]

Very nice. Car is a beast!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG
Well, from reading all of these interesting posts on this thread, it appears that the selection criteria of those people who have expressed their opinion can be subjectively ranked in the order of importance as follows:

1. The desire for fast, exhilarating speed, primarily neck-wrenching, grin-inducing acceleration. (Faster than the other high-end SAV Porsche Cayenne Turbo)
2. Uniqueness, compared to the other SUV/SAV's on the road in your respective areas. (you don't see that many MB ML63 AMG's around, now do you.....)
3. Capacity to accommodate 4 people and their stuff (well, we have to rationalize it somehow to the family and neighbors....)
4. Ability to tow things, trailers, boats, wave runners, etc. (best looking and most capable SUV/SAV hauler on the road!)
5. Mercedes-Benz reputation, (i.e. quality, prestige, and the fact that it is not a Jeep!)

Agreed.....?

AVB-AMG
Agreed! A M G
Old 04-19-2008, 12:15 AM

2005 SL65
I bought mine mainly because I need a vehicle that I can take into the Upper Pennisula of Michigan to my Lake House all year round. I wasn't willing to sacrifice too much speed, as my other vehicles spoil me too much!

I just bought a used '07 ML63 last week and so far I really like the truck! It seems to be pretty fast for a big SUV.

I never considered the Jeep, I did consider the Cayenne Turbo and the RR Sport. After looking at all the options I decided the ML63 was the best vehicle for me.

I am in the market for a set of rims and snow tires for the ML63, I have done some reading on this site and it looks like the Scorpians are what a lot of people here seem to like, but I am open to other options.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Maverick1975,
I will post pics of the whole clan when the garage is finished (damn DOB, endless wait for permits), and every single piece is accuried.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy an ML63 AMG?