ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Wheel corrosion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 & AMV8 & DBS Volante
Unhappy Wheel corrosion

Is anyone else suffering with this problem around the badge?

I had exactly the same issue with a wheel on an M3 and BMW changed it for me under warranty. Anyone had them exchanged with Mercedes or is it one of those things found in the small print somewhere that wheels aren't covered?

It's happening on all four wheels to a lesser or greater degree.

Steve
Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 PM

2007 ML63 ///AMG
hasn't happened to me thankfully... that looks terrible.

try taking it back to the dealer and see what they say. for the amount of $$ an AMG commands, there is no excuse for that to happen
Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
dealer should change them out. this problem is far more significant on machined face wheels like on your ML. Reason is they cant put down much paint on the machine finish or it will ruin the raw shiny metal look of it... therefore corrosion resistance suffers especially around sharp edges.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 PM

a g
The problem stems from corrosion that develops under the wheel center cap and above the brake rotor hat. Since 99% of people do not remove the wheels when cleaning let alone the center caps corrosion commonly develops to this point that the clearcoat has been breached. The result is this. Fully painted wheels are usually the best in this regard, but I've seen just about every style of wheel faded, peeling, or otherwise like pictured.

The only real solution here is to pull out the caps, refinish the wheel at a reputable shop, and replace the center caps completely. Unfortunately, this is just a consequence of owning a vehicle in any sense of the word. Being that you are from the UK you surely get snow, and salt damage (just from the air no less). So get used to it, unless you remove the center caps regularly and clean out the corrosion behind them.

I'd suggest a full detail shop or dealership to regularly have them cleaned with other necessary services (i.e. brakes, tire rotations).
Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
This also happens as a result of when the wheels are taken off and balanced. When the collar is put on to hold the wheel in place and tightened it breaks the edge of the clear coat and then moisture and salt dust finds its way into the breaks and there is the end result. It is not the thickness of the paint or lack of it. Actually the thicker the paint layer the easier it is to crack the edge.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 AM

a g
Proper service and tire shops have what they call 'finger plates' to prevent exactly that. Then those wheels that cannot be effectively plated (i.e. shank style or lugcentered wheels) have attachments that do NOT mar the wheel, nor clamp it on the balancers as you describe.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks.....just spoken with dealership as well as P4LMER and it looks likely that they will be changed via warranty. Will know later this week for definite and I'll report back as it may help others who have to make a similar warranty claim.

Steve
Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by Steve_B
Thanks.....just spoken with dealership as well as P4LMER and it looks likely that they will be changed via warranty. Will know later this week for definite and I'll report back as it may help others who have to make a similar warranty claim.

Steve
I hope they take care of you as best they can, and also, this hasn't happened to me (and hopefully won't).
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Just as an update, Dealer has said, after taking a few digital photos which he'll be sending to MB, that it's a 'given' that they will be changed F.O.C. under warranty. I'm pretty sure that it helped that the wheels are, other than the corrosion, in perfect condition. Had they have been curbed then it may have been a different story.

Very happy with MB's approach to replacing them and that now makes 2 UK owners, including me, who have had corrosion problems on the wheels.

Thanks to everyone for the input
Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Originally Posted by Steve_B
Just as an update, Dealer has said, after taking a few digital photos which he'll be sending to MB, that it's a 'given' that they will be changed F.O.C. under warranty. I'm pretty sure that it helped that the wheels are, other than the corrosion, in perfect condition. Had they have been curbed then it may have been a different story.

Very happy with MB's approach to replacing them and that now makes 2 UK owners, including me, who have had corrosion problems on the wheels.

Thanks to everyone for the input
Add one US owner... I had a more minor case of the same corrosion. It annoyed me but I never thought it a warrantable issue till I read this thread. When my ML went in for service yesterday, I mentioned it to my service mgr and he said he'd show it to his MBUSA rep who just happened to be stopping by today. I got a call late today with the good news that the wheels will be replaced and may be in as early as Friday.

I thought for a moment about upgrading to the '09 ML63 21" wheels, my service mgr said he'd swap them out for a $180 upcharge per wheel, but I just put new rubber on the 20's two months ago and I didn't want to let that go to waste since they won't work on the new 21's.

A big thanks to Steve_B and everyone who inspired me to address this annoyance.

Also... A big thumbs up to my service Mgr and MBUSA for going above and beyond to keep a customer happy. The best way to grow a business is to deliver more than your customer expects!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Have the same issues, dealer is changing them no problem. I have asked to change them to the 21"+ £££, but dealer here in the UK say`s `not available`!
The originals are due new rubber, would have been just right....
Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Phillips
Have the same issues, dealer is changing them no problem. I have asked to change them to the 21"+ £££, but dealer here in the UK say`s `not available`!
The originals are due new rubber, would have been just right....
Prepare for the wait.....seems there's been a recent demand for warranty replacements...can't think why

2 in at dealers and awaiting the other 2 which have been promised for the 16th March.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM

ML63 AMG, E92 M3
Same happened to me, all 4 were replaced about 8 months ago. No problems since.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Wheel Corrosion

I experienced the same problem on both of my rear wheels, but not on the front wheels. The problem appeared after about 26-28 months.

My M-B Dealer Service Mgr. agreed with me when I pointed out the problem and asked that the wheels be replaced under warranty. The new wheels have been installed last week and look great!

I will echo EX-BEEMER;s comment to say that the Dealer's Service Manager's that work with us to remedy this and other minor yet irksome cosmetic issues, go a long way to instill brand loyalty.

AVB-AMG

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 12-13-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 AM

ML63
Hi,

Thanks a lot for brining this up.

I have a 2008 ML63 with the same problem on all four wheels, to varying degrees, and when I got it, I am the second owner, I thought it was "just one of those things." Now I know it isn't.

I called the MB dealer where I have my service work done and spoke with the service manager. I told him about the problem and the thread here about it and he said to bring my vehicle by and let him have a look.

I will let you guys know what happens.

SU
Attached Thumbnails Wheel corrosion-ml64-rim.jpg  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 PM

ML63
Quick update. The assistant service manager took photos of all the wheels and said they would get back to me.

SU
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM

ML63
Hey Guys,

Very good news! I received a call today from, the assistant service manager (Brian, a good guy), at Mercedes Mid-Town in Toronto and he said the wheels WILL be covered under warranty. In fact the new wheels will be into the dealer he said in a a day or two.

The one little glitch is that since I didn't want to presume anything, I thought I would wait for positive word back before asking if I could upgrade to the 21" wheels. He said soon as he got the OK he ordered the 20" wheels in and tried to reach me earlier, but I was away.

He said he would do his best for me, but would not promise anything on the upgrade as things had been signed off for already for the 20" ones. I must say I will be happy which ever way.

Anyway, a very big thank you to Steve_B and everyone else on this and to MB Canada. What a great site this is, the corrosion really did bother me on what other than this, was a perfect SUV.

SU
Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what were the uk guys using to clean the wheels?
not wonder wheels i hope, that stuff would strip anything!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 PM

ML63
Got the final word today, good news again, the dealer will do the upgrade for me to the 21" wheels for $180.00 per wheel.

New wheels will be arriving in about 2 weeks. Gotta' love MB!

SU
Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by d8ean
what were the uk guys using to clean the wheels?
not wonder wheels i hope, that stuff would strip anything!
No Dean, official MB wheel cleaner.

There's a definite pattern to where the corrosion takes hold from what I can see with other owners.

Glad to see that raising this online has helped.