ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Fuel Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML55 AMG
Fuel Pump Problem

I have recently purchased a used 2001 ML55 AMG with 37000 miles.
After a short time began having fuel loss problem when the tank of
fuel was down 1/2 a tank or better. Was happening consistently so
I took it to a mechanic to look at and said i should change the fuel pump and the filter , so i left the mechanic . The car sat for a while and then
started right up. The next day i picked it up and it started right up.

I was in the process of taking out the fuel pump and noticed when i removed the power connection to the pump the positive lead was burned brown. After i removed the pump for the tank the power plug on the tank side was burned almost off. all the other leads were still in order. I have pictures of this fun.

My concern is, if i change this pump and filter out will this solve the whole issue, or is there something i am missing. What cause this electrical burn, and will i burn up the new pump if this is not the over all problem???

And why didn't the tank explode since this electrical burn was in side the tank but above the gas in the tank. Or was i just lucky i did not explode.

If you need a few pic's they can be supplied.

Glen.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML55 (parted out), 92 1jz SC300, 92 Sentra (DD), 05 Cadillac SRX
Glen. I am not sure the source of your problem, however if you need a new pump or any additional parts I am parting out my 2000 ml55 and have the whole fuel system available still. It was in great working condition when started parting out.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
This was a huge problem with the 163's sorry jeff, but I don't recommend him using your either unless it has already been changed out already since he will most likely have the same issue sooner than later. There has been revisions to the pump and the filter so you will also be needing to replace some lines and tie downs.