ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML63 stutters off the line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG, AC Cobra, TVR Tuscan
Unhappy ML63 stutters off the line

Proud owner of a W164 2007 ML63 AMG but have found that I cannot floor it from stand still in either Comfort or Sport mode. In sport the car starts to accelerate hard but then before it changes to 2nd it stutters badly (like the traction controlk has cut in) then goes again briefly in 1st then changes to 2nd. In Comfort it again leaves the line well (in 2nd this time) but then seems to think or try to drop into 1st but doesn't as by this time it's already going to fast. In both cases it loses momentum and performnace and provides for a very uncomfortable ride.

Is this normal? or do I have a fault?

I hope not as all I've read seems to implie you can just plant your foot off the line and it pulss well all the way.

BTW - Have tried with ESP off but makes no differance
Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Not normal. I would take to dealer, demonstrate the issue on test drive and get them to update ECU/TCU. Then give it another go.

Then get a Powerchip flash!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 AM

Thanks Maverick, I'll book it in.
Would lobve to get Powerchip but they don't do in UK. Any UK alternatives you know of or recommend?

Russ
Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 AM

Been doing some testing and it seems that the issue is far more pronounced when the engine oil if below 65c (Obviously haven't tried when real cold). If I let the engine oil (and presumable gearbox) warm up fully then the issue is virtually non exsistent when launching in Comfort mode. Still has issue in Sport but it seems that it thinks the wheels are losing traction. I've also found that the EPS off doesn't actually turn off all traction control
In short I think you just have to manually control via you right foot to mimimise which ultimately makes it mharder but more like a real drivers car. More like my AC Cobra

I will let the dealer have a look though at the next service or if I get to drive another ML63 and find a difference
Old 06-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Running sweet now, after a few good blasts, I think the cobwebs have been blown off. Guess the last owner lived in the city and never got it above 3,000rpm

Happy bunny again
Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 AM

1999 Coupé Fiat 1.8 16v
@ Tigeruss,

it's right you can't get above 3000rpm by a standing start with the pedal to the floor. I've tried it once, but the owner says, it's not so good for the engine to get it, when it stands still, revv it up to 6000rpm

But enjoy your ML
Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 AM

2000 ML55/Kleeman Headers
Make shure the

solenoid plate in the transmission is not cracked. My slk kid the same then cleared up and then came back worse. There is a plate in the tranny that can crack and cause issues. At least thats what happened to my slk. Similar to what you said. or it could be nothing. The dealer can inspect this for you. I wish I had listened to my mechanic when he said it might be... and I thought no way. Murphys law. Mine would downshift at redline and from 3rd to second floored was a nasty experience especially when you got people behind you.