ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML 55 "Engine goes off at 80°C and want not to start more " Anyone could Help ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W163 ML 55 AMG
Unhappy ML 55 "Engine goes off at 80°C and want not to start more " Anyone could Help ?

Hello All !

I am full new here and own a 55 Ml w163 AMG since about two monthes. It was made 04/2001 (delivred out of factory on beginning January 2001)...

The first happening was a drive to Paris, and it became "hot" on one shot : 120°C , and the big ventilator didnt react directly, only after about 10 seconds... and thirty seconds later even the temp did go down fast to 90°C, the motor went off.. and the engine didnt start more so long it was hot.

After a quater hour, i tryed to start again, and it worked well, and made the trip to home. It was a normal winter day with 10°C outside.

Now, it has the following problem wich is very well indentificated :

To time, as i drive only 4 Miles on the morning (there for the engine doesn not becomme his temperature) all is well working.

But when i use the car longer, and the the temperature reach the 80°C range, the engine stops (on P gear position or also when driving vith very low engine rotation, but it dont occurs when driving with rpms over 2000, but even in this case, after slowing down the rpms it stops !). And it is not possible to start it on this temp (the starter turn well but no ignition or fuel smell) , i have then to wait "15 minutes", for the motor temp of "under 70°C" , and as soon this temp level is reached, the motors starts again with no problem.

I changed the coolant electrical circulator pump for a new (it was "fully" out of service) and also the Ventilator in the fuse box (Bosch "brusched" replaced with a Pabst "unbrusched with ball bearing, as the the bosch was also out of service and didnt turn more). It didnt change the facts. It occured before changing these part wich work well now, and after...

I handled all the cables in the fuse comp with extreme care, and secured all things in place. Before and after these works the is no change.

I noticed that sometimes but very rare when reaching the fatidic 80°C range with the car on place (with P gear), sometimes the big electrical vent makes his work, and regulates well, 'stop and run" to maintain the temp on the range , and you can stop the engine and start it again (1 case to twenty) and sometime not,(19 cases of 20 start trys ) and the engines stops yet before it reaches the temp when the blower has to begin to work...

Can somebody give me an advice to ????

Nom to time i have to take my E 420 W210 with more than 190000 kms, wich make well the morning drive, but my wife is more and more telling me some bad words about the ML !

Thanks in advance for your help,

Hammel not in the ML, but to foot.