ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Flashing low range ligh and transmission in my 2002 ML-55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Flashing low range ligh and transmission in my 2002 ML-55

Recently the low range indicator light on my 2002 ML-55 began to flash. It didn’t stay on it just flashed most recently 12 times and then went out. Thanks to the information in this great forum I know what the problem is and plan to crawl under the car and deal with the motor. However my question is whether leaving the motor alone for a time when I can attend to the problem will adversely affect the transmission. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Vince
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
Originally Posted by vvrjrlaw
Recently the low range indicator light on my 2002 ML-55 began to flash. It didn’t stay on it just flashed most recently 12 times and then went out. Thanks to the information in this great forum I know what the problem is and plan to crawl under the car and deal with the motor. However my question is whether leaving the motor alone for a time when I can attend to the problem will adversely affect the transmission. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Vince
I had this problem. And when I spoke to some knowledgable guys, they said that the sensors ever little while reset for some reason. All I did was engage the low range for 10 minutes, drove really slow around the neighboorhood...then turned it back to normal, and all was well again.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM

1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
I guess my only concern is whether the flashing light is telling me the transmission may be partially engaged in the low range in which case I would need to attend to the problem immediately. It goes out ad does not flash when the transmission is engaged nor does it do it at any other time except on start up.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM

X166, 997
ok, just engage it for like 5 minutes like i said

I guess my only concern is whether the flashing light is telling me the transmission may be partially engaged in the low range in which case I would need to attend to the problem immediately. It goes out ad does not flash when the transmission is engaged nor does it do it at any other time except on start up.
it just needs to be run for a bit. After you do that, it won't flash anymore. That was exactly what mine was doing, thats what my contact at the dealer said to do, run it for a bit, and the light will go away. Try it! It will work.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 AM

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough but when I attempt to engage into the low range it the unit won't engage. The light flashes slowly and then flashes quickly and goes out. Obviously the motor isn't operating properly and it appears that its a function of non use which means I must get under the car and "persuade" the motor to cycle. I just haven't had the time to "persuade" it and want to make sure its ok to continue to drive it until I get the time. Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 05:27 PM

X166, 997
ouch

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough but when I attempt to engage into the low range it the unit won't engage. The light flashes slowly and then flashes quickly and goes out. Obviously the motor isn't operating properly and it appears that its a function of non use which means I must get under the car and "persuade" the motor to cycle. I just haven't had the time to "persuade" it and want to make sure its ok to continue to drive it until I get the time. Thanks
I guess this should be a reminder for me to run my low range every little while. I know back in the day they said run it at least once a month...