2000 ML55 Rear Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML 55 AMG
2000 ML55 Rear Suspension Help

Hey Merc Heads (myself included)

I have been having some issues getting my suspension dialed in on my ML55. I bought it about 3 years ago, and I the previous owner had dropped springs on the rear (I guess). The shocks look like Bilsteins and have purple springs on them. I am not sure if this is the stock setup but I doubt it. To match the lowered height the guy just dropped all the tension out of the front torsion bars. Rode unbelievable rough, but handled like it was on flypaper.

I blew out 2 front shocks before I figured out what the guy had done. I have since raised it back up a little in the front. I would like to raise the whole truck up back to the stock height or to the ML 430 height. I am really having problems finding any suppliers for the rear spring/shock combination that does not drop the truck.

I am trying to get it more to a height that would be suitable for longer drives and light towing rather than track performance. I am finding the shocks for the 430, and 500
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...e&apwidAXGczYD
But no-one is saying anything about ML 55. Even the dealer didnt show a part other than springs.

Question:
Has anyone else had this experience?
What shocks/springs did you replace with WITHOUT dropping the truck?
Can ML430 Shocks/Springs be used on the ML55?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 07-31-2011, 02:03 PM

2000 ML 55 AMG
OK, I haven't gotten any feedback on my post. Let me share my latest thoughts. I was reading another users experience with upgrading the rear suspension and they went with Bilstein rear shocks with factory springs over. Does anyone have feedback on this?

Also, what is with the creaking and popping from the front torsion bar adjustment area. I had a local shop replace the nylon inserts and that seemed to work for a few hundred miles then it came back with a vengeance. I bought them off ebay from a seller that had then listed for a few models. I could not seem to find the OEM part number or listing for the factory inserts. Do I need to replace the whole torsion bar system?

Has anyone had experience with this issue?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Your best bet would probably be new OEM shocks and springs.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM

I too have a lowered ML55. I just replaced my rear shocks on my 2002 ML55 this past weekend. Took me about 3 hours. I bought KYB's and have H&R springs. I replaced the fronts with Monroes a few weeks ago. Surprisngly with this setup the truck now rides very smooth, but then again everything is new. I will post back in a few weeks and let you know how it goes.
Also note that the truck had over 110k on the odo before I replaced the shocks and springs, so I was already going bad.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 PM

2002 ml55
Originally Posted by amg8451
I too have a lowered ML55. I just replaced my rear shocks on my 2002 ML55 this past weekend. Took me about 3 hours. I bought KYB's and have H&R springs. I replaced the fronts with Monroes a few weeks ago. Surprisngly with this setup the truck now rides very smooth, but then again everything is new. I will post back in a few weeks and let you know how it goes.
Also note that the truck had over 110k on the odo before I replaced the shocks and springs, so I was already going bad.
did you do the work yourself? if so how do adjust the torsion bars for lowering