ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML63 AMG Pinging - Fixed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
ML63 AMG Pinging - Fixed!

My ML63 AMG has been pinging lately under load and it was starting to concern me.

Having read up on here, it seems like a fairly common issue with the AMG 63 engine.

People seem to have cured it with a different tune. I asked around at a few local tuner shops and they have come across it, mainly in cars that aren't driven very hard. They suggested carbon clean and periodically giving it a hard time. I've always used RON 98 fuel as well.

Mine falls into this category of not being driven hard as my gf drives it mon-fri to the shops and back. We have a small child too, so revving the engine out is probably not even on her mind.

We had a really hot day here last week and the car was pinging very easily. I booked it in for a service next Wed.

Today though, i did the following:

1: Checked oil level. Would you believe that when cold, the oil level was 6-7mm over the MAX mark on the dipstick. I drained part of the oil and this equated to dead on 1 litre. So i've been driving around with 1 litre too much in the engine. I noticed this a while ago and thought nothing of it, as these engine supposedly use a bit of oil and it would just burn off.

Mine uses absolutely nothing. The oil level never drops 1 bit between changes.

So now, its on MAX, not over

2: Changed to BP ultimate. I used to use Shell V power.

3: Drove the crap out of it for an hour.

I can now go say 60 km/ph in 5th gear, plant my foot to the floor, would always have pinged, and now there is no pinging at all.

Not sure which element above contributed to the pinging going away, but im sure having too much oil in the engine wasn't helping my cause!

Last edited by schmick325; 11-28-2010 at 06:20 AM.