ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML63 on the US used car market...little help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 e63s amg
ML63 on the US used car market...little help?

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at moving from my 335i into a ml63, and could use a little help;

I live in Canada, and the simple fact is that there just aren't that many used options up here as far as finding the right car. (<10 to >50) I've done my due diligence researching the process of bringing a car up from the states, and it doesn't seem so bad.

however, the prices of comparable US vehicles (one US car to another) have a huge swing, sometimes up to $10k, and I'm trying to pin down what fair market value would be so as to make reasonable offers on acceptable vehicles. Im not much for the "start with a lowball" method, ive bought and sold my fair share and don't like to waste the time of myself or others.

using this car as an example, and all things being equal (year, options, mileage, condition, clean accident history etc) what do you guys think of the asking price vs market value, and probable sale price?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

**if this is a members FS ad, and you don't want it used, please message me and ill be happy to take it down
Old 08-08-2011, 01:48 PM

2016 e63s amg
heres an example of what i mean, this first one is asking just under 70

where as this one (significantly more mileage, i know) is less than 55 k??

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

does location have that much of a bearing on the asking price? are dealers just uninformed and not have a good idea of what cars are actually worth?

Last edited by bucktown; 08-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
Originally Posted by bucktown
heres an example of what i mean, this first one is asking just under 70

where as this one (significantly more mileage, i know) is less than 55 k??

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

does location have that much of a bearing on the asking price? are dealers just uninformed and not have a good idea of what cars are actually worth?
Mileage is key with AMG cars, on the high end you have a 22K mile Certified car vs a car with 7k miles left on the warranty. The beauty of CPO is that the brakes and tires have to be at 50% or better so the reconditioning bill on an AMG car can easily run into the 5-7K range if its at a point where wear items need to be replaced. The CPO car is probably priced at the high point on the market as it has a lot going for it (1 year/50k mile extension of warranty plus CPO inspection). At the end of the day its all in what you feel comfortable paying and an ML63 is not an easy car to pin a market value on as its a very limited production car.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:36 PM

2016 e63s amg
Originally Posted by DCubed
Mileage is key with AMG cars, on the high end you have a 22K mile Certified car vs a car with 7k miles left on the warranty. The beauty of CPO is that the brakes and tires have to be at 50% or better so the reconditioning bill on an AMG car can easily run into the 5-7K range if its at a point where wear items need to be replaced. The CPO car is probably priced at the high point on the market as it has a lot going for it (1 year/50k mile extension of warranty plus CPO inspection). At the end of the day its all in what you feel comfortable paying and an ML63 is not an easy car to pin a market value on as its a very limited production car.
very good points! thanks for your input. Since I would be importing the car, I question if MB Canada would honor a cpo extension, or allot me remainder of the standard 4 year 80k that we get up here. I guess that's something worth looking into, as it looks like ill be paying for it down there if it applies to the chosen vehicle.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM

2016 e63s amg
Originally Posted by bucktown
very good points! thanks for your input. Since I would be importing the car, I question if MB Canada would honor a cpo extension, or allot me remainder of the standard 4 year 80k that we get up here. I guess that's something worth looking into, as it looks like ill be paying for it down there if it applies to the chosen vehicle.

so apparently, MB canada will not honour any extended warranty (cpo) nor allow you to purchase one for a US car imported into canada. They will however honour the remainder of the existing manufacturers warranty if you complete the necessary steps (inspections, modifications etc) once you get the car into canada.

for future searchers:
lhttp://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...ew_cars/0.html

what do you guys think a cpo warranty is worth to you? what would you pay extra on top of purchase price to have this feature? what does a vehicle need to qualify for a cpo warranty?

im trying to figure out if the intangibles that come with a cpo vehicle (condition of wear items, quality of inspection etc) are worth the excess cost on top of the purchase price even though i wont be able to take advantage of the actual warranty.

thanks again for your input guys