ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Extending factory warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 ML63 AMG
Extending factory warranty?

This seems like a no brainer, and I'm assuming most of you would say YES to extending.

However, my question is: I have an option to extend with a "platinum powertrain coverage" or basic powertrain. Platinum covers: engine, transmission, transfer unit of 4*4, drive axle assembly, front and rear suspension, steering, A/C, electronics, seals, gaskets, brake system, and electrical systems.

1. Is extending factory warranty definitely worth it?
2. Go with basic powertrain, or the platinum coverage?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With most AMG cars, it's worth getting an extended warranty. Of course, that depends on the warranty company, the price, the term, and the coverage.

To me, it's almost always worth it to get the top level coverage vs. saving $800 and getting lesser coverage. Because parts are so expensive on these cars, one uncovered repair can more than eat up the savings you got by buying the lesser coverage plan.

Not sure what you have for quotes and stuff, but if you email me your VIN# and current odometer reading I can send you complete quotes and info.

Thanks.

Bruce
brucem105@comcast.net
856-912-2600
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
MB Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) - ML63 AMG

MB63:
I did a "cut & paste" of a response I made not too long ago in another thread in this forum that you may find useful for consideration:

In the summer of 2010, my '07 ML63 AMG's 3-year lease expired. After much deliberation whether to get a new similar vehicle and test driving the new ML63, and competing vehicles such as the BMW X5M and Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I decided that the most cost effective solution was to buy my ML63 from Mercedes-Benz Financial at the end of the lease since it only had about 37,000 miles on it. My '07 ML63 is loaded and has everything I really need in the vehicle other than the latest electronic communication/entertainment gadgetry. I realized that if I purchased my vehicle off of lease it would cost me about half the cost of buying/leasing a new one, ($50,000 vs. $100,000). I was able to negotiate with MBF what I thought was an acceptable deal to buy it for approx. $2,000 below my vehicle lease's stated residual value. As an enthusiast, I always baby my vehicles and had the MB Dealer always perform all of the necessary regular and preventive maintenance and servicing so the vehicle was and remains in great shape. I did a number of minor modifications and upgrades, including having my MB Dealer perform a switch out of the OEM incandescent tail lights to the 2010/2011 LED tail lights since I prefer their aesthetic appearance, (that project turned out to be quite a production due to the complicated electronics with the 2 fuse boxes, but was accomplished successfully).

The important fact to keep in mind is that all of today's AMG vehicles are very expensive to repair, especially if there is any issue involving the engine or transmission. The cost of replacing the entire 6.3 engine alone has a msrp of over $60,000! So in April 2011, nearing the end of the original M-B mfgrs warranty, I decided to purchase a Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) for the ML63. The ELW can be purchased from any M-B Dealer and is available in a number of different mileage/months combinations at different costs. I elected to go with an ELW for an additional two years and/or 25,000 miles (up to 75,000 miles on the vehicle). The ELW was not cheap at $4,171 (which includes 7% NJ sales tax), but there is no deductible and I view it as an additional "insurance" cost that gives me important peace of mind. Repair or replacement of just one key covered component on this vehicle could easily total this amount. So if you have or buy a ML63 that is still within the original mfgrs. warranty I strongly suggest that you seriously consider exploring getting a M-B ELW that works for your budget.

This strategy has given me "peace of mind" since that time, allowing for continued enjoyable ownership and driving experiences with my ML63 for 2-3 more years before I may be tempted to consider a new replacement vehicle. As you will see from my other posts in this and other forums, I am not all that thrilled with the design of the new 2012 ML63 AMG, which also reinforced my decision to buy my '07 ML63.

Good luck

AVB-AMG

_______
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
get a high quality aftermarket extended warranty, get the HIGHEST plan they offer (usually platinum) and get zero deductible.

First Auto Care is one of the best ones out there and is under written by Allstate, so they always pay out when it comes time for repairs. I got 4 year for under $4k and already got my moneys worth when the front air suspensions gave out (normal at 50k+ miles). I still have 2 full years left on my warranty too and its already net me a profit in savings. Worth every penny IMO.

The factory one is actually no longer bumper to bumper, its just drivetrain, and is heavily overpriced for what you get. They quietly changed their plans a few years ago, everyone thinks its bumper to bumper for the extended but its not if you read the fine print.