ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

1998 ML230 hesitates on acceleration and backfires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz ml 230
1998 ML230 hesitates on acceleration and backfires

1998 ML230 hesitates on acceleration and backfires Hi Sir!
Glad you solved your problem..
I bought a 1998 ml230 2 years ago.It runs great until 3 months ago.The problem started with hesitations upon initially stepping on the gas every time you shift gears(manual transmission)but ones you got going,it runs fine.Now even the idling gets rough intermitently and if you step on the gas it backfires then dies on you.The problem intensifies when uphill but turning off the Aircon helps.Ive replaced the airmass,sparkplugs,fuel filter even tried on a new throttle valve with no success.I took it to the mercedes dealer but the dealer said it shows no error codes because the All Activity module(AAM)does not match the trucks actual VIN No. so it doesnt effectively communicate with their diagnosis equipment.They advised me to change the AAM so it may work with their equipment, then they might be able to tell me whats wrong.The AAM is too expensive and as I found out,the AAM is not the control module for the engine. I will appreciate any help or suggestions.Help Please!!thank you in advance.
Regards,
Jericho