Cat ML 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55 (W163) & C 200 (W202)
Cat ML 55

Hey Guys,

The previous owner had removed the Catalytic converter off claiming that there are chances of it getting clogged and kill the engine.

how true is it?
and i do want to fit it back as the smell from the exhaust is unbearable.
could i fit in an aftermarket cat or do i have to get the original one?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 PM

ML55, ML430, 600SL, 190E 16V
No reason you couldn't use a aftermarket cat. There are some nice high flow ones available these days. It is true a blocked cat could ruin an engine the big clue you are having a cat problem is rattling from the cat and excessive engine temps.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:07 PM

2008 ML63 AMG
I have worked with a ton of Audis over the years and the biggest gain for HP/TQ was to remove the stock cat and install either a testpipe (straight pipe) or a high-flow cat that is less dense than stock and allows more flow. Smell is always the biggest issue with testpipes. Emissions testing and regulations require stock catalytic converters but if that's no issue for you then any aftermarket high-flow cat will work for you. They can be welded on. Simple and easy. In CA they require a cat to have a CARB number which makes it difficult or expensive to get aftermarket cats. I'd personally go with an aftermarket high flow cat.

Do you have a check engine light on now with the straight pipe? What is your current setup?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 AM

87 190e 2.3l-16v
cat chat

There are 2 cats, the primary and secondary. You live in U.A.E. and I have no idea if you have any smog / emissions testing which I doubt but you can enlighten me. Anyways I would just put in straight pipes and remove the primary & secondary cats and resonator. Straight all the way back. It will open up the V8 and sound like a muscle V8. Your check engine light will come on though.

If your concerned about the check engine light and / or emissions testing (I am only using Calif. USA where I reside as reference) you can remove the secondary cats and resonator and put in straight pipe. The primary's you will need to retain if in good working order or replace with aftermarket which is way more cost effective.

On mine I put in straight pipes after primary cat's on back with a magnaflow muffler and Porsche style quad tips. Sounds like a beast now.