ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML63 Aftermarket Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB ML63, Aston Martin Vantage
ML63 Aftermarket Exhaust Review

I purchased a 2010 ML63 this week. I loved my 2006 ML500, so I figured why not trade it in for an upgrade.

Since I had stalked this forum for your thoughts on an aftermarket exhaust I wanted to report back on what I did. I was discouraged by what I was reading that one person liked a certain brand of exhaust and another person didn't. I also didn't want to spend $3k+ on something I might not like. So, I went to a local repair shop that specializes in mufflers.

They replaced the 2 rear mufflers with Magnaflow part #14619. The pipes and front muffler were left alone. He had to do a join to make the 3 inch Magnaflow connect to the 2.5 inch stock pipes. So, this was a very inexpensive solution.

It is wonderful. On startup it has a deep meaty tone. Decelerating will often yield a nice gurgle. At cruising speed (1500rpm) you can hear the exhaust but it's easily tuned out and you don't feel like you are speaking over it. Around 1800rpm it starts to open up. When you punch the gas the sound remains deep and meaty. It's loud, but not over the top. I also use the paddle shifters all the time and now I know when to shift vs trying to watch my gauges. The sound when it's shifting up and down is also satisfying. So, it's a perfect match for the class and power of the vehicle.

My perspective on this is I also have an Aston Martin with aftermarket sport exhaust. I do have to speak over the exhaust when cruising down the road. When I punch the gas people nearby do turn their heads to see what is making that sound. I'm doubtful that my ML's sound will turn heads but people will hear it. So, I think the Magnaflow is a perfect balance.

The shop said they took a video and will be posting it on their website. So, once/if they do that I will post the link.

Last edited by druidfog; 03-01-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Manga flow will drone and get louder over time, it may not yet, but it will soon