need help with 2013 ML63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche Cayenne Turbo
need help with 2013 ML63

Hi everyone,

I currently have a '11 Cayenne Turbo and ready to get rid of it b/c of extremely poor quality/service/reliability. I'm planning to get a ML63 but the problem is the car's height is too high to fit into our building's underground drive way.

Searching the forum, some people say the car will lower itself 15mm when in Sport (or Sport+) mode, I need to confirm this, I think with 15mm lowered it will go in the driveway and I can go ahead and order this car. So, kindly asking owner of W166 2012~2013 ML63 owner, is this true?

Thanks!

Jack
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG W166, CLK200K, ML320CDI
It is always better to check with your dealer, but below is the info as appear in the owners Manual, including technical details..

The car has essentially 3 operating levels. The maximum height is with the "off road" raised level, which has to be manually selected and raises the car 50mm above standard level. For your purposes, this setting can be ignored. In Sport/Comfort level the car is at its normal level. In Sport+, it will lower itself by a about 10mm (the lowest level). When you park and lock the car, you can visibly see the car lowering itself and hear the sound of deflating air chambers. Therefor the car has a ride height range of approximately 60mm in total, but 10mm between comfort and sport+. At its lowest position the owner's manual states a minimum height of 1752mm. For the record, the electric tailgate can be adjusted to stop automatically at a lower level.

In accordance with the owners manual:

".......Basic settings for AMG vehicles

The extent to which the vehicle is raised or lowered depends on the AMG Ride Control setting selected. Select the raised level for off-road driving or highway/high-speed level for normal roads......

..........The raised level corresponds to a vehicle level raised by 50 mm when compared with highway level in comfort mode.....

....... The vehicle is lowered by approximately 10 mm if:
have selected sport or comfort suspension tuning and you switch off the engine and lock the vehicle..........

..........Sport + mode

The very firm setting of the suspension tuning in Sport + mode ensures the best possible contact with the road. Select this mode primarily when driving on race circuits.
If indicator lamps and are off:
Press button twice.
Indicator lamps and light up. You have selected Sport + mode. The vehicle is lowered by 10 mm.
The AMG Ride Control SPORT + message appears in the multifunction display.
If indicator lamp lights up:
Press button once.
Second indicator lamp lights up. You have selected Sport + mode. The vehicle is lowered by 10 mm.
The AMG Ride Control SPORT + message appears in the multifunction display.

.......Comfort mode

In Comfort mode, the driving characteristics of your vehicle are more comfortable. Select this mode if you prefer a comfortable driving style. Select Comfort mode also when driving fast on straight roads, e.g. on straight stretches of motorway.
Press button repeatedly until indicator lamps and go out.
You have selected Comfort mode. The vehicle is raised by 10 mm compared with Sport + mode.
The AMG Ride Control COMFORT message appears in the multifunction display......................."

Technical Details from Owners Manual:
ML 63 AMG 4MATIC
Vehicle length 4817 mm
Vehicle width including exterior mirrors 2141 mm
Vehicle width excluding exterior mirrors, without side running board 1940
Vehicle width excluding exterior mirrors, with side running board 1951 mm
Maximum vehicle height 1815 mm
Minimum vehicle height 1752 mm
Wheelbase 2915 mm
Maximum ground clearance 233 mm
Minimum ground clearance 172 mm
Maximum roof load 100 kg
Old 05-29-2013, 04:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Thank you very very much!

Hi~

Thank you very very much for sharing such important message! I'm now should be safe to order my ML63... In my country, salesman and web spec are not always very accurate, so taken from your post, max height 175.2cm, my driveway can fit w/o problem! I think this number accounts for the shark-fin antenna and root rail right? In my country, its listed 179.6cm which I believe is not accurate.

By the way, equiped with optional 21inch wheel, does it look "stick out" at all? from most of the picture online, standard 20inch rim seems narrow so I have a high chance of checking this option box.

Thanks again!

Jack
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG W166, CLK200K, ML320CDI
Information is from MB owners manual for Europe market so bear in mind that there are market variations. Ask your dealer to provide you with a copy of the owners manual/ official technical data applicable in your country. You cannot rely on ordering a new car without being provided from your dealer with the vehicle info. They have access to it and they should be able to confirm the data.

What I know from my car is that it visibly lowers itself when it is parked after driving it in "comfort mode" and you feel it lower when selecting Sport+. As to wheels, the manual does not state different figures of height level. On my car I deliberately kept 20" for the sake of comfort.

Vehicle height differs between ML63 and standard models, and even on standard models it depends on Type of engine, Suspension (Steel or Air) and Off road package. The full list for standard models in owners manual is as appears below. On steel suspension height is fixed, and variable with Air/On&Off Road pack. The minimum height of standard models is calculated based on the min/max ground clearance data.

"........Maximum vehicle height (steel suspension) (except ML 250 BlueTEC 4MATIC) 1796 mm

Maximum vehicle height (steel suspension) (ML 250 BlueTEC 4MATIC) 1788 mm

Maximum vehicle height (AIRMATIC package) 1818 mm

Maximum vehicle height (ON&OFFROAD package) 1848 mm

Minimum vehicle height (highway driving level) 1758 mm

Maximum ground clearance (steel suspension) 202 mm

Maximum ground clearance (AIRMATIC package) 255 mm

Maximum ground clearance (ON&OFFROAD package) 285 mm

Minimum ground clearance (AIRMATIC package -ON&OFFROAD package) 180 mm
.................."