ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Fuel pump and filter 2001 ML55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML55
Fuel pump and filter 2001 ML55

Has anyone experienced issues changing their fuel filter?
Mine seems to need some special removal tool not sold at any local parts stores.
There is no room to get the release flange under the coupling and if I modify the tool by cutting off some of the flange it won't be long enough to go under the coupler to release it.

{ I've been able to answer my own question.....indeed a specialty tool is required, pliers. MB part number 163-589-003-700 or available at AST Specialty tools as part number MVW2050F }

I suspect I will need a fuel pump anyway, sooner or later, and was wondering if anyone has actually done this repair to their own car? The dealer says 4 hours book to drop the tank and switch out pump. I nosed around under the ML yesterday and it didn't look like 4 hours work to me. However, I can't get my stupid filter off either. Can someone fill me in on what I'm missing??????

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by iangjohnson06; 07-21-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: found tool part number
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM

fuel filter and fuel level replacement in ML55

There is a special pliers that I had to buy, to disconnect the fuel lines going to the fuel filter, have to press these two tabs on each end of the fuel line and it pops out. Also, had to get updated fuel lines for the new fuel filter.
For the fuel level sending unit, is part of the fuel pump as one unit.
I had to move the rear passenger side seat out a bit, pull up the carpet and there is round lid which is glued to the metal floor, had to carefully pry it out
to get access to replace the fuel sending unit.
It did this like 5 years ago and for the past year, the fuel level is not reading correctly. I think my cost was $352. expensive, I am not going to replace it.
This is for a 2000 ML55
good luck
Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 PM

2001 ML55
Thank you.

Someone posted on another blog page to not bother with moving the seat, just force the carpet back. Which I did and was able to access the cover and then release the stupid lines from atop the pump.

Still waiting for new lines to replace the old ones.

Canada is still in the stone age as far as parts are concerned. Sourcing from internet even more expensive than dealer since customs levies a whopping tax on parts at the border.

Thanks for the info.