ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

2001 ML55 disaster averted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S4, 01 ML55, 05 M3 Vert
2001 ML55 disaster averted

So I am in the market for a ML55 amg project...have been looking for a while and identified one in South Jersey (Galloway) on Craigslist 149,000 miles for $3500 with a clean title. After some back and forth via email by the seller I negotiated $2000. He said it needed among a few aesthetic points, a battery and the TPS to be replaced to be drivable. Well if that's it I'll pick it up and run it through the winter and fix as needed.

I don't usually do this, but would like to represent the actual condition a bit better then what the seller has described...what I was told was that it needed a Throttle position sensor 0125423317 and a battery. Well after wasting an entire day...that's not all it needs. Yes this is a "too good to be true" experience for sure.

He sent me a recent report from the mercedes dealership stating that it needed the throttle control valve to be replaced at the tune of $2990.00...hmmm but the seller stated all it really needed was a $120 sensor to be replaced...

1) After replacement of the above items...we got the truck to turn over. The engine jumps to 4000 rpm abruptly and then idles roughly at 2000rpm with an audible misfire and whining from what appears to be the water pump. The ABS/BAF lights are illuminated and stay illuminated. Pressing the accelerator does nothing but maybe increase the idle to 2200rpm but no further. Resetting the ECU and Throttle position sensor does nothing. Unplugging the MAF does nothing. Placing the transmission in Reverse or Drive only causes the truck to roll but will not accelerate.

2) It appears that at some point the seller or previous seller tried to repair the engine with used parts as the front of the engine has parts from a junk yard. Maybe he tried to replaced the throttle control valve...but that apparently wasn't the issue...

3) Engine bay: covered in oil, likely the valve cover gaskets are leaking, hood struts don't hold.

4) There is a milky substance which leaks around the bottom of the engine, could be coolant and oil mixing or the oil has collected so much condensation from sitting.

5) the tires look to be the original 285/50/18s, no tread at all and are dry rot.

6) Interior: The center console ashtray door is missing, the navigation volume is missing, the abs label stitched in the door on the passenger side is missing...oh and the wiper stalk has been completely broken off. If that isn't bad enough the rear doors won't open...

7) The rear passenger taillight is broken and was being held in place by packaging tape.

8) The front bumper cover has cracks on the right side by the washer cover, both washer covers are missing, the right foglight cover is missing the left foglight cover is cracked beyond repair. Both foglights are rusted entirely. The drivers side mirror housing is broken. The paint could use a good detail and the rear bumper will need to be repainted...and that beautiful power dome hood has a very large dent with scratches through the clear coat.

9) It looks like the seller also at one point tried to replace the accelerator pedal assembly as the spares are sitting in the trunk...

10) all four corner rotors were heavily rusted and looks like one of the calipers were replaced at some point.

It does have a clean title as of today...verified by Carfax, showing a rear impact in 2007 with no deployment of the airbags. The VIN is 4JGAB74E51A245123

Part of me wants to think that this is a Hurricane sandy car but have no clue...

So all in all...I walked, disappointed, the search continues....

**Still interested to hear what the gurus think about the engine issue though.

Last edited by Noname007; 10-16-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Oooff sounds like a bad project. Good luck with her.