ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

OIL LEAK - Advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG W164
OIL LEAK - Advice needed

Hi folks, I recently purchased a 2007 ML63, it has an oil leak from somewhere (was told by someone cam covers), having looked at this it seems correct however there is quite a bit of oil down underneath the engine on sub frame and around just behind the sump area.

Is there anything else common around those areas i should check, or is it best to somehow clean all the oil away first and try to pinpoint it properly?
Its only when warm, and literally leaves 2-3 drops after a drive or my driveway so not much but definitely don't want any oil leaking.

TIA
Old 04-27-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
By owning multiple Mercedes / AMGs, I can tell you almost all of them at some point leaked oil through the valve covers, and the rear engine seal. Valve covers is an easy DIY job. The rear seal requires the transmission to be removed. It is logical that it only leaks when warm, since oil gets thinner the warmer it gets. In addition, I have seen early M156s leak oil from the upper oil pan.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:31 PM

ML63 AMG W164
Originally Posted by Solo wing
By owning multiple Mercedes / AMGs, I can tell you almost all of them at some point leaked oil through the valve covers, and the rear engine seal. Valve covers is an easy DIY job. The rear seal requires the transmission to be removed. It is logical that it only leaks when warm, since oil gets thinner the warmer it gets. In addition, I have seen early M156s leak oil from the upper oil pan.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response, i think it will be best to put that to test by cleaning the oil away first, but that makes sense as I couldn't imagine the cam covers would cause this much oil, this far down and back.
I was mainly concerned I'd change the cam cover gaskets then find out I should have done something else whilst at it
In terms of the rear engine seal if it comes to it, what is involved?.. I've removed engines/trans boxes etc etc from a few other cars in the past but I'd imagine this is a bit more complex
Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Couldn't find something specific in WIS, but I know that the transfer case, drive shaft, and transmission need to come off. Heavy job!
Need to disconnect transmission cooler lines so keep a new supply of oil ready (might do a complete service while you are at it: filter, drain torque converter, transmission mount...) and new transfer case oil.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 AM

ML63 AMG W164
Originally Posted by Solo wing
Couldn't find something specific in WIS, but I know that the transfer case, drive shaft, and transmission need to come off. Heavy job!
Need to disconnect transmission cooler lines so keep a new supply of oil ready (might do a complete service while you are at it: filter, drain torque converter, transmission mount...) and new transfer case oil.
Are there any special tools required, ie merc tools or engine hoist?
How long would it take at a guess for an intermediate who is decent on the tools, and is it possible to do as a 1 man job or is it 2 man?