ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

DIY Valved Exhaust on a ML63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes S500L (W220) and ML63 AMG (W164)
Cool DIY Valved Exhaust on a ML63 AMG

Hi all,

I recently wanted to have a valved exhaust on my ML63, as I think that the M156 Engine is one of the best sounding AMG engines ever built.
Inspiration came from this web site, showing the stock valved exhaust on all newer AMG Models:
https://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.c...des-amg-c63-s/

On this picture you can see, that the valve is placed after the rear muffler and going into the right muffler tip. The pipes are arranged in a way that if the valve is opened, the exhaust gases take the smaller resistance and go through the bigger pipe and through the valve, thus not cancelling all of the engine sound. If the valve is closed on the other hand - the exhaust gases take the other way through the smaller pipe and exiting the muffler from the left tip.
This is what I also decided to do, because there are numerous of projects where the valves are placed before the rear muffler with an Y Pipe connection. I personally don't like that, because the rear muffler gets pretty much deleted, the sound is not that nice and in the winter when the exhaust smoke gets visible your cars seems to be on fire, as the smoke isn't coming from the exhaust tips but rather from underneath the vehicle.

So first I bought some exhaust valves, which had a good radiator housing for the electronics, and the valve axis is decoupled from the motor axis with a spring. This way the motor wont overheat. They are also ment to be welded, which was just what I needed:

Here's the rear muffler of the ML63 AMG:

As you can see there are still 2 exhaust tips, but the right one slides right into the other. I had to open it and checkout whats inside to get an idea of how to change that:

Removing the isolating material showed how its made:

So the plan was to do it like AMG. I really wanted to keep the stock sound when the valves are closed, because its quite enough when cruising on the highway. No matter how good an engine sounds when louder, there is nothing worse than getting it on the highway with 140 km/h and listening the whole time to the very same RPM.

In order to achieve this, I had the following plan:

As you can seen, the pipe from the engines enters the muffler, does a full round trip inside and exits. When entering the muffler it has a lot of holes. So the plan was to connect to the pipe like shown in the picture above and place the valve just behind the right exhaust tip. Thus when the valve is closed, the exhaust gases will circulate through the whole muffler just like before and keep the stock sound, and when the valve is opened they will take the smaller resistance way and go right out the second tip.

Here are some pictures from the process:

The second exhaust muffler wasn't opened like the first one, because there was no need to - a smaller hole was enough, but I didn't knew what was inside until I cut it open.
The car sound amazing with opened valves. Here's a video done right after installation:

When driving on full throttle the sound is completely insane! And on the highway you can enjoy the quietness of stock mufflers.

Enjoy,
Svetoslav

The following 4 users liked this post by svetlio_blck:
esphil (08-17-2020), Ilko_w164 (07-27-2024), Low C230 (04-30-2021), Solo wing (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 09:18 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Always wanted to see the insides of the ML 63 mufflers, thank you. The car sounds awsome with open valves!

Cheers.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
08 ML63
Wow this is awesome, do you have any more clips or videos?
Old 07-27-2024, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500 w164
Hey Svetlio, congrats! 👍 nice job!

Originally Posted by svetlio_blck
Hi all,

I recently wanted to have a valved exhaust on my ML63, as I think that the M156 Engine is one of the best sounding AMG engines ever built.
Inspiration came from this web site, showing the stock valved exhaust on all newer AMG Models:
https://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.c...des-amg-c63-s/

On this picture you can see, that the valve is placed after the rear muffler and going into the right muffler tip. The pipes are arranged in a way that if the valve is opened, the exhaust gases take the smaller resistance and go through the bigger pipe and through the valve, thus not cancelling all of the engine sound. If the valve is closed on the other hand - the exhaust gases take the other way through the smaller pipe and exiting the muffler from the left tip.
This is what I also decided to do, because there are numerous of projects where the valves are placed before the rear muffler with an Y Pipe connection. I personally don't like that, because the rear muffler gets pretty much deleted, the sound is not that nice and in the winter when the exhaust smoke gets visible your cars seems to be on fire, as the smoke isn't coming from the exhaust tips but rather from underneath the vehicle.

So first I bought some exhaust valves, which had a good radiator housing for the electronics, and the valve axis is decoupled from the motor axis with a spring. This way the motor wont overheat. They are also ment to be welded, which was just what I needed:

https://youtu.be/YcmorsyOcaM

Here's the rear muffler of the ML63 AMG:

As you can see there are still 2 exhaust tips, but the right one slides right into the other. I had to open it and checkout whats inside to get an idea of how to change that:

Removing the isolating material showed how its made:

So the plan was to do it like AMG. I really wanted to keep the stock sound when the valves are closed, because its quite enough when cruising on the highway. No matter how good an engine sounds when louder, there is nothing worse than getting it on the highway with 140 km/h and listening the whole time to the very same RPM.

In order to achieve this, I had the following plan:

As you can seen, the pipe from the engines enters the muffler, does a full round trip inside and exits. When entering the muffler it has a lot of holes. So the plan was to connect to the pipe like shown in the picture above and place the valve just behind the right exhaust tip. Thus when the valve is closed, the exhaust gases will circulate through the whole muffler just like before and keep the stock sound, and when the valve is opened they will take the smaller resistance way and go right out the second tip.

Here are some pictures from the process:

The second exhaust muffler wasn't opened like the first one, because there was no need to - a smaller hole was enough, but I didn't knew what was inside until I cut it open.
The car sound amazing with opened valves. Here's a video done right after installation:
https://youtu.be/9zSJUpkmoNI

When driving on full throttle the sound is completely insane! And on the highway you can enjoy the quietness of stock mufflers.

Enjoy,
Svetoslav
could You please contact me on PM or email:
iliyan.dimitrov2@gmail.com
Old 07-27-2024, 07:37 PM

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts
ML 63 AMG
Quality and performance will be better with a Supersprint or the like, honestly. This is a lot of work and you’re still stuck with the 10-15 year old OEM exhaust system with small piping and crimped bends. The Supersprint sounds perfect at all times, not too loud but not too quiet. Zero drone too. Just my 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
C43 Fun Haver (07-30-2024)