ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

Strange Noise on Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 63
Strange Noise on Start

Hi,
A strange noise just after Start, but gone after 2 second.It's not coming from the valve train, looks like something related to the cams, the sound is coming from the right side of the engine, from the front. It's occurs during the first day cold start and when I turn off the engine for more than 15 minutes. But the noise is present only for a few seconds. Anyone ??

Follow the video:

Tks
Old 05-28-2017, 03:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ML63 AMG 13 SLK 55 SLK350 AMG kit 07
Mine does it and seems like a cam adjuster.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 PM

E55, E63
i am moving from an E63 to an ML possibly, and noticed this post. had same exact issue on my E63. if it is the same, it could be one or both of these issues. this is the exact text printed out on my mercedes action plan report:

- replace timing chain tensioner (faulty timing chain tensoiner) $952
- remove and replace both passenger side camshaft adjusters (if tensioner fails to fully correct noise issue the passenger side camshaft adjusters should be replaced) $3,517

i had the timing chain tensioner replaced, and it didn't do anything to the noise.

this might not be exactly your issue, but your description and the noise is very similar, although my noise was much more noticable than yours. mine idled and drove fine which makes the noise that much more irritating.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 AM

ML 63
Solved

I had solved the problem, replacing timing chain tensioner only.

Originally Posted by eye_s
i am moving from an E63 to an ML possibly, and noticed this post. had same exact issue on my E63. if it is the same, it could be one or both of these issues. this is the exact text printed out on my mercedes action plan report:

- replace timing chain tensioner (faulty timing chain tensoiner) $952
- remove and replace both passenger side camshaft adjusters (if tensioner fails to fully correct noise issue the passenger side camshaft adjusters should be replaced) $3,517

i had the timing chain tensioner replaced, and it didn't do anything to the noise.

this might not be exactly your issue, but your description and the noise is very similar, although my noise was much more noticable than yours. mine idled and drove fine which makes the noise that much more irritating.