ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

Purchasing 2014 ML63 - Price OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 11:30 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
I wanted to update the group and let you know that I ended up making the purchase. The Rolls Royce/Bentley dealer this ML63 was at was able to come down to a price we all agreed on.

After having a PPI performed I flew down there for about 18 hours to look at and test drive the car. It honestly looked and drove better than I could ever imagine it would.

The previous owner traded it in for a Bentley Bentayga after 5 years of ownership. They had all maintenance performed on schedule and at MB dealers, besides 1 oil change.

I had it delivered last Wednesday and have already put on 700 miles of fun. I just can’t believe how the personality of this vehicle changes when going from Comfort to Sport. It’s a completely different animal than the Trackhawk or Hellcat Charger I’ve had.

I am going to my local MB dealership to have a service A performed for piece of mind.

One question I do have is that, it’s due for a transmission fluid and filter service based on years but the car only has about 37,000 miles on it. I hear mixed thoughts on performing a ATF change but I am leaning towards having it performed because it is part of the maintenance schedule.

Thoughts?

Photo below was taken at the RR dealer garage when I went down to take close on the car.

Last edited by PeteyV; 12-26-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by PeteyV
I am going to my local MB dealership to have a service A performed for piece of mind.

One question I do have is that, it’s due for a transmission fluid and filter service based on years but the car only has about 37,000 miles on it. I hear mixed thoughts on performing a ATF change but I am leaning towards having it performed because it is part of the maintenance schedule.
Service A is a fancy name for an oil change. ATF change for ML63 is a must based on years, not mileage. I had mine done with a lot less miles than on your car. These cars have impressive braking ability, so do not overlook brake fluid flush every 2 years as well.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Congrats on the purchase. I was looking at that one too but their starting price was just way too high. It's very low mileage and looks to be just about perfect but I could buy a CPO GLE63s for what they wanted.

Yes, I would have the dealership change the transmission fluid and filter. Oil changes and other maintenance, I would do that all day long. While it is in there you should have them update the camera software. It will make a huge difference in the cameras ability to function in dark environments. Also, have them upload the most recent navigation maps or switch to a newer Android screen and run Google Maps.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Service A is a fancy name for an oil change. ATF change for ML63 is a must based on years, not mileage. I had mine done with a lot less miles than on your car. These cars have impressive braking ability, so do not overlook brake fluid flush every 2 years as well.
Yep, I know. They have the “express” service A at my dealer (oil change) but they’re calling this a regular service A because they’re also including the ATF change in the service. Not sure exactly why but I get to use a $50 off service A coupon the dealer has which brings me to a total of $220 for motor and transmission fluid change which I think isn’t all that bad considering the Valvoline by my house charges about $100 for a synthetic oil change when they need to pull the undercarriage shields off. Don’t ask why the extra charge, because I don’t know. Either way, I am lazy to do oil changes myself in the winter so I’m willing to pay the dealer pricing right now.

Thanks for input, I’ll be doing all maintenance as you suggested!
Old 12-27-2020, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Congrats on the purchase. I was looking at that one too but their starting price was just way too high. It's very low mileage and looks to be just about perfect but I could buy a CPO GLE63s for what they wanted.

Yes, I would have the dealership change the transmission fluid and filter. Oil changes and other maintenance, I would do that all day long. While it is in there you should have them update the camera software. It will make a huge difference in the cameras ability to function in dark environments. Also, have them upload the most recent navigation maps or switch to a newer Android screen and run Google Maps.
Thanks! They did end up coming down on the price when I called and asked for wiggle room. Once I had the PPI performed and flew down there to close the deal I was able to work it down some more which got me right at the price point I wanted. They also gave me a great finance rate after some back and forth with my cargurus preapproval interest rates. I was going to initially buy it out but with the rate I received I ended up putting 1/2 down and saved some money for investment ventures. Overall, I was really happy how the dealership employees treated me. The sales manager handled all of my paperwork with me and made the calls to get me down to the rate I received on cargurus.

Thanks for the tips on what I should ask at the dealer. I am not 100% sure how the updated camera software should look. Does anyone have an example? Because my camera initiates great right now. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-27-2020, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep, I know. They have the “express” service A at my dealer (oil change) but they’re calling this a regular service A because they’re also including the ATF change in the service. Not sure exactly why but I get to use a $50 off service A coupon the dealer has which brings me to a total of $220 for motor and transmission fluid change which I think isn’t all that bad considering the Valvoline by my house charges about $100 for a synthetic oil change when they need to pull the undercarriage shields off. Don’t ask why the extra charge, because I don’t know. Either way, I am lazy to do oil changes myself in the winter so I’m willing to pay the dealer pricing right now.

Thanks for input, I’ll be doing all maintenance as you suggested!
Just that you know, ATF (stands for automatic transmission fluid, I assume?) service itself is at least $500+. Do not know what they told you, but they're not doing it for $220 with an oil change on the top. For oil change alone, they are charging up to $150.

As you can see above, I paid $556 + tax.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlownV8
I was looking at that one too but their starting price was just way too high. It's very low mileage and looks to be just about perfect but I could buy a CPO GLE63s for what they wanted.
36K miles is "very low mileage"?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:52 PM

Just that you know, ATF (stands for automatic transmission fluid, I assume?) service itself is at least $500+. Do not know what they told you, but they're not doing it for $220 with an oil change on the top. For oil change alone, they are charging up to $150.

Below is what they have me scheduled for in the dealership service portal. I was off on the cost a bit but I guess we’ll find out for sure tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:16 AM

You are correct on the price. Went in today for the service and they told me that the transmission service is not included in that price point. Kind of misleading but I understand.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to have any service performed because out of the entire area I am in, that particular dealership has no power and there is not ETA on when it will come back.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hate to point the obvious, but it is one of those "I told you so" moments. Even after being provided the proof, there were still inclination to disbelieve. When one is not new to MB and these forums, a simple search on the subject (it was discussed for many different models, simply because to is expensive to do) would reveal approximate price and make it clear that no MB dealer (especially the one that a given used car was not bought from) would never ever do it for "free", because dealerships make most of their money on service.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Thanks! They did end up coming down on the price when I called and asked for wiggle room. Once I had the PPI performed and flew down there to close the deal I was able to work it down some more which got me right at the price point I wanted. They also gave me a great finance rate after some back and forth with my cargurus preapproval interest rates. I was going to initially buy it out but with the rate I received I ended up putting 1/2 down and saved some money for investment ventures. Overall, I was really happy how the dealership employees treated me. The sales manager handled all of my paperwork with me and made the calls to get me down to the rate I received on cargurus.

Thanks for the tips on what I should ask at the dealer. I am not 100% sure how the updated camera software should look. Does anyone have an example? Because my camera initiates great right now. Thanks in advance!
Congrats on the purchase. Beautiful color and well optioned...very similar to mine. If you don't mind sharing, what was the selling price the dealer came down to? The update on the 360 camera will make it appear less dark. I had mine done and it improved somewhat but nothing dramatic. It's a TSB so if you're out of warranty, the dealer will charge you. Attached is the TSB.

Also, the nav update is free for the first 3 years but since yours is a '14, it'll be $99 + installation cost.

https://mb.navigation.com/product-li...en_US/MBNA/USD

The other poster is correct on the transmission oil change. It's not $299 or free, unless it was agreed upon during purchase. My local dealer charges $599.

Last edited by diamondblak05; 12-29-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:55 PM

Hate to point the obvious, but it is one of those "I told you so" moments. Even after being provided the proof, there were still inclination to disbelieve. When one is not new to MB and these forums, a simple search on the subject (it was discussed for many different models, simply because to is expensive to do) would reveal approximate price and make it clear that no MB dealer (especially the one that a given used car was not bought from) would never ever do it for "free", because dealerships make most of their money on service.
I have been on this forum since 2004, when I bought myself a 04 C230. Just because my post count isn’t in the 1000’s doesn’t mean I don’t know how to use the search function. My low post count but lengthy membership time might actually mean I do use the search function quite often 😉

Also, I did not ask how much a transmission service was going to be, rather I posted the cost I was quoted by the dealership’s online service scheduling (which wasn’t even directed towards you but to the thread in general). You then told me that’s not possible. I said you could be right and posted a screenshot of my service appointment cost and then said I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. There was really no harsh intentions towards you, rather a disconnect between the dealerships online pricing and services provided.

So I guess this wasn’t really an “I told you so” moment. Oh well.

Last edited by PeteyV; 12-29-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Congrats on the purchase. Beautiful color and well optioned...very similar to mine. If you don't mind sharing, what was the selling price the dealer came down to? The update on the 360 camera will make it appear less dark. I had mine done and it improved somewhat but nothing dramatic. It's a TSB so if you're out of warranty, the dealer will charge you. Attached is the TSB.

Also, the nav update is free for the first 3 years but since yours is a '14, it'll be $99 + installation cost.

https://mb.navigation.com/product-li...en_US/MBNA/USD

The other poster is correct on the transmission oil change. It's not $299 or free, unless it was agreed upon during purchase. My local dealer charges $599.
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words and the help with the camera update information as well as the NAV updates. I’ll have to refresh my memory and search the forum to see if there is a way to check if my ML already has this camera and maps update. I have no issues with my camera at night time and the previous owner did have many golf courses and hotels in their recent destinations on the NAV. I just don’t have any previous experiences to compare the camera and maps too.

I will PM you about the dealer costs.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:45 PM

I was able to perform the oil and transmission service at the dealership on Wednesday. Not sure if I should be concerned, but I did find a few drips of transmission fluid on my garage floor today. I know it wasn’t there before I took the car in Wednesday because I swept the garage up and did not see anything. Not sure when it appeared, but I’m not surprised. I try giving the dealerships a chance but they don’t act like a premium brand in their service from experience with my other MBs that have been serviced there.

Looking under the car I can see that the trans pan wasn’t really cleaned up good after they removed the oil. There was also motor oil on my engine cover and front bumper on Wednesday after the service but they cleaned it up. I am hoping it was just residual trans oil that was on the under body that tripped down.

I will monitor to see if there are any more drips the upcoming days. I am concerned that the tech might have used the same trans bolt and washer even though the work order charged me for all new items.

Times like this make me wish I had a lift of my own.

Last edited by PeteyV; 01-01-2021 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-01-2021)