ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

M157 ticking/knocking source?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 09:07 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
Sorry, missed the replacement of the valvetrain components. I know my M157 is a tap happy engine. I always attributed it to the injectors, high pressure and all. Like yours, engine pulls like a locomotive.
The half speed, right before #2 ignition just strikes me as significant. Could be an injector at that time as well but you had changed those as well.
Sorry I can't be of more help. I am still really impressed with your diagnostics.
No problem and thanks for your inputs. I'm sure I've dumped a lot of info to sift through. I'm doing so in the hope that something will spark in other people's mind besides what I've been staring at. More thoughts/ideas are always welcome.

BTW, the injector and high pressure fuel pump noise is present. That noise is little more rapid with similar amplitudes giving the characteristic dieseling noise. My ticking/tapping noise is louder above the fuel system noise and quite distinct.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:46 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup
So i have a 2013 ML63 with the performance package and about 105k on the dash. I'm the second owner and to my knowledge it has never been tuned. I have babied it and never pushed her hard other than maybe some rips in a tunnel. Always changed the oil with Liquimolly on time.

As of recent ive been chasing a tapping/knocking noise that has me confused and worried at the same time. So the noise isn't the normal upper ticking sound that we get. This noise seems to be coming from the lower right side and can be heard better through the wheel well. Also the sound is only there when the engine is hot. Also the noise increases with acceleration. I have No CEL or misfires. I have clean oil and filter with no evidence of metal. Of course worst case scenario is rod knock but im inclined to believe it might be something else.

What could this noise come from? Exhaust manifold bolt? Bad spark plugs?

I'm trying to narrow it down before I spend the money and send it to the mechanic or try and dump it.
@Zerocarpileup
OP did you ever figure this one out? I found a few other threads in the W212 AMG forum with reports of the same sound. One of them, the OP found scoring in cylinder 5. Have you bore scoped any of the cylinders to check for that?

Originally Posted by tadiguy
No problem and thanks for your inputs. I'm sure I've dumped a lot of info to sift through. I'm doing so in the hope that something will spark in other people's mind besides what I've been staring at. More thoughts/ideas are always welcome.

BTW, the injector and high pressure fuel pump noise is present. That noise is little more rapid with similar amplitudes giving the characteristic dieseling noise. My ticking/tapping noise is louder above the fuel system noise and quite distinct.
@tadiguy
My E63 makes the same noise. I have 66k miles on mine. Tuned. I recently did a Blackstone analysis and all the numbers came back good. No codes, no misfires, pulls hard. Same as for the OP, did you do a compression test and borescrope?

ETA: I just noticed something with this sound. Only can hear it when the vehicle is in R or D. It goes away when it's in P or N.

Last edited by CZ 75; 06-16-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:36 PM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
No resolution yet. Car has done a few more interstate trips and pulls like new other than noise. I don't know if any of the previous owners put a tune on it - not sure I can tell other than going to dealer for stock re-flash.
See a listing of my observations in my earlier post for info about cylinder pressure, leak down test, bore scoping etc. I don't think any of them are related to the noise.
BTW - my noise is there in all gears; it actually gets a little better in D and R.
If you ever find any clues please share.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
[QUOTE=CZ 75;8798126]@Zerocarpileup
OP did you ever figure this one out? I found a few other threads in the W212 AMG forum with reports of the same sound. One of them, the OP found scoring in cylinder 5. Have you bore scoped any of the cylinders to check for that?

So after about 8 months of ticking the sound has completely disappeared on its own. Its been about a month and it hasn't returned. Literally the only thing i can recall doing out of the ordinary was doing a vacuumed oil change from the dipstick rather than a basic plug removal. Someone at Mercedes told me i could have created a vacuum and hydro-locked one of the hydraulic valves which stopped it from compressing and making excessive contact with the camshaft lobes. This is of course speculation. We discussed valve draining procedures that i have done previously in some range rover/BMW motors where you rev the motor for a while at different rpm in order to drain the valves. So i guess its still a mystery but i wont be doing anymore oil changes from the dipstick again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zerocarpileup:
Abeinc (06-22-2023), timm206 (09-02-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 01:06 PM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
[QUOTE=Zerocarpileup;8802422]
Originally Posted by CZ 75
@Zerocarpileup

So after about 8 months of ticking the sound has completely disappeared on its own. Its been about a month and it hasn't returned. Literally the only thing i can recall doing out of the ordinary was doing a vacuumed oil change from the dipstick rather than a basic plug removal. Someone at Mercedes told me i could have created a vacuum and hydro-locked one of the hydraulic valves which stopped it from compressing and making excessive contact with the camshaft lobes. This is of course speculation. We discussed valve draining procedures that i have done previously in some range rover/BMW motors where you rev the motor for a while at different rpm in order to drain the valves. So i guess its still a mystery but i wont be doing anymore oil changes from the dipstick again.
Very interesting indeed...
Sucking oil out of the dipstick is standard operating procedure for MB and other German autos so I can't imagine that being a problem. In my case, I replaced all the lifters and rocker arms with brand new and it didn't make a difference.

Did you may be filled the oil level higher than you normally do? I've noticed that my noise seems to be dependent on the level of oil; it's louder when oil is low. In general my noise at idle has improved quite a bit but it still ticks under the slightest acceleration. It virtually disappears when coasting.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs & 2002 E55 AMG
I have the same Ticking noise

I have over 127k miles on my 2014 E63 and I have had the ticking/knocking noise for 15k miles. I have changed the oil multiple times with LiquiMoly 5w40 and use the LiquiMoly Ceratec additive ever since I had the car. I even tried a thicker oil 20w50 and the noise is still there. I eventually replaced the lifters of which 6 were bad. I did all the seals, gaskets and timing guides and the noise is still there. The car is tuned to 700HP with down pipes, intakes and still runs hard with no issues. I was told by a mechanic that when you tune these engines to the edge or performance and get bad gas, it causes piston shrinkage, resulting in the noise. The thing is, it happens to engines that are not tuned from what I am reading. I am also still investigating the issue and will post any updates.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:55 AM

Came across this video. Rocker arm failure can make noise also. I changed the lifters but no the rockers.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:39 PM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Originally Posted by amayers951
Came across this video. Rocker arm failure can make noise also. I changed the lifters but no the rockers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUxZosQ8JWo&t=16s
l’ve changed both rocker arms and lifters on the entire bank with no difference in the noise
Old 08-23-2023, 03:59 PM

l’ve changed both rocker arms and lifters on the entire bank with no difference in the noise
Ok, so back to the drawing board. I will do a deeper dive into the noise. I have three mechanics looking into this. Funny thing with mine, when I run hard the noise stops for a bit. When I cold start it is not there.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:25 PM

GL 450
Tyring to solve the same noise on my GL 450. Saw this on another forum. See link below: The sound sounds similar. Any chance this could be related to the tensioner interacting with a bad a/c compressor?

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/kn...shake.3065178/

The guy bypassed his compressor with a shorter belt and the knocking went away. Had to replace his compressor. Any chance this is the mysterious cause of the knocking?
Old 11-14-2023, 10:47 PM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
In my case I'm sure the noise is coming from inside the engine. My noise is from the right bank and the AC compressor is mounted low below the left bank.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1981 300D, 2014 E63 S Wagon
Possible solution???

Hello all, I own a 2014 e63 S and have been SCOURING for a solve to this sound... I think I may have made a correlation... hear me out as I don't know this motor/trans too well. LOTS of people including myself default to engine internals. But NOTHING is a difinitive solve. I began to move towards the transmission/drive system after I noticed the sound was most pronounced while "in gear." Then, someone, somewhere mentioned the dual mass flywheel... this intrigued me. Could the sound be outside of the motor itself? Potentially even bad motor mounts?
Then, in this thread, the sound went away after a mightyvac oil change...

My question is: could it be the flywheel???
Again, I can't believe this is so mysterious and unsolved. Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
C43 Fun Haver (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 11:21 AM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Originally Posted by Riskys
My question is: could it be the flywheel???
Again, I can't believe this is so mysterious and unsolved. Thoughts?
It could be depending on the car. That possibility has come up a few times during my research. Although the GL has a simple flex plate (not dual mass flywheel), I chased down the potential of this being transmission-related noise given that the noise is prominent under even the slightest acceleration and disappears during coasting or gear shifts. I experimented with shifting into neutral while driving and feathering the gas pedal a little bit to see if the noise will disappear and it did not. It could very well be transmission related but for me the correlation with low oil level is too strong to rule this out as engine problem.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS550, E63 Wagon, and a Ford
I found this discussion to be really interesting. I have an M157 (no ticking/ no extraneous noises) AND an M278 (a very very VERY subtle "tick" (left side) at operating temps (42k miles) BTW, I've always had this subtle "tick"; I remember hearing this when my M278 was under 20k miles. I use 0W-40 with BG additive (Mobile 1) and vacuum the oil from the dip stick. No Xentry codes; no engine efficiency/performance compromised; achieving 28mpg/highway (sea level); pulls like a train. Frankly, guys, I have to listen for the subtle tick; wondering if it's just the injectors "spitting" precise fuel.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:28 PM

Gl w166
Originally Posted by youout70
I found this discussion to be really interesting. I have an M157 (no ticking/ no extraneous noises) AND an M278 (a very very VERY subtle "tick" (left side) at operating temps (42k miles) BTW, I've always had this subtle "tick"; I remember hearing this when my M278 was under 20k miles. I use 0W-40 with BG additive (Mobile 1) and vacuum the oil from the dip stick. No Xentry codes; no engine efficiency/performance compromised; achieving 28mpg/highway (sea level); pulls like a train. Frankly, guys, I have to listen for the subtle tick; wondering if it's just the injectors "spitting" precise fuel.
Have you guy's tried checking the gap and the health of the crankshaft bearing's on m157/m278 engines to solve the knocking noise?