ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

Clunking/knocking from front of vehicle when turning right or going over bumps.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350, 2014 ML63 AMG
Clunking/knocking from front of vehicle when turning right or going over bumps.

Hi all,

This is regarding my 2014 ML63 AMG.

When making right turns (possibly sometimes left turns, but almost always when turning right), or even when going straight and over some bumps (but not always?), or sometimes even upon taking off, there is a clunking, knocking, rattling sound coming from the front of the vehicle. It seems to be primarily from the driver side front. I can also feel it in my steering wheel. A slight knock or bump in the steering when the noise happens. This seems to happen at any speeds. To me, it sounds like a bad air shocked or bad bushings somewhere, but upon inspection, everything looks perfect. The car also handles beautifully, drives great, stops great, etc. If it were not for the noise, nothing would feel wrong. There seems to be no correlation of the noise to any kind of lack of performance.

I'm at a complete loss. I've inspected the area thoroughly, also with my dad (and both of us have a good amount of wrenching skills). We cannot find anything that looks abnormal. All bushings look good, the air suspension looks good, the steering column (from what we can see) looks good, the breaks look good, there are no loose pieces anywhere.

I did notice that the ACS fluid was low, but I refilled it with Mercedes-Benz brand fluid to it's appropriate level. That did not help.

I'm so frustrated at this point. And I have done extensive searching online to see if anyone has the answer to this, but I can find nothing. There just seems to be a lack of all information on W166's. Especially the ML63 AMG. I'm not sure why.

Can anyone please help? Thank you!
Old 01-26-2023, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Seems par for the course with my ML63 and GL550. The GL I bought CPO at 37K and took to the dealership a few times for such noises. They replaced the engine and trans mounts, then a left LCA bushing (warranty would not do the whole arm, I believe it was just the rear bushing). Anyway, wife still complains of click/clunk noises, usually when backing and turning slowly, like out of a parking space or driveway. ML I have done the same as you, still hear an odd small click or clunk every once in a while. It has new engine mounts, front subframe was recently dropped and repaired so everything was inspected, I'm going to throw on some new sway bar end links because it's cheap and easy, but can't find anything obviously loose. Never had such issues on any car without air suspension, but both of these with air do strange things. I think that's just the way it is.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:06 PM

2011 E350, 2014 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by jonUF02
Seems par for the course with my ML63 and GL550. The GL I bought CPO at 37K and took to the dealership a few times for such noises. They replaced the engine and trans mounts, then a left LCA bushing (warranty would not do the whole arm, I believe it was just the rear bushing). Anyway, wife still complains of click/clunk noises, usually when backing and turning slowly, like out of a parking space or driveway. ML I have done the same as you, still hear an odd small click or clunk every once in a while. It has new engine mounts, front subframe was recently dropped and repaired so everything was inspected, I'm going to throw on some new sway bar end links because it's cheap and easy, but can't find anything obviously loose. Never had such issues on any car without air suspension, but both of these with air do strange things. I think that's just the way it is.
Thanks for the reply, man. I feel your frustration. But, hearing from you that it seems to be kind of a normal thing makes me feel better about my decision of trading the vehicle in yesterday. I just got to my wits end. I'm a wrench, and for me to not be able to identify or fix something was just driving me nuts. And I was dreading a $3k repair job at the dealership. Such a shame... Such an amazing, awesome vehicle, with such a dumb, annoying problem. The hit I took on the trade in hurt, but life goes on and I'm happy to be removed from the problem.

By the way, last weekend I replaced the front sway bar links with Genuine Mercedes-Benz links hoping to fix the problem. It didn't. It might have been my imagination, but it did seem to reduce the frequency of the issue a bit. Maybe 25%. But it was still very noticeably there. So, with that in mind, you may want to save yourself a hundred bucks and some time and skip replacing them unless they're really needed. With that being said though, they are very easy to replace.

Thanks again for the reply and sharing your experience!
Old 01-26-2023, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
So instead of paying potentially a couple grand in new suspension parts, you lost probably $10k worth of value trading in a car. This kind of thought always amazes me.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:02 PM

2011 E350, 2014 ML63 AMG
Yup. Didn't sound fun for me.

Last edited by PUKBenz; 01-26-2023 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Oops, lol.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:53 AM

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 ML63
IMO you should have found a European based shop in your area and had get a 2nd look, just my 2 cents
Old 08-02-2024, 06:03 PM

2014 ML63
Originally Posted by PUKBenz
Hi all,

This is regarding my 2014 ML63 AMG.

When making right turns (possibly sometimes left turns, but almost always when turning right), or even when going straight and over some bumps (but not always?), or sometimes even upon taking off, there is a clunking, knocking, rattling sound coming from the front of the vehicle. It seems to be primarily from the driver side front. I can also feel it in my steering wheel. A slight knock or bump in the steering when the noise happens. This seems to happen at any speeds. To me, it sounds like a bad air shocked or bad bushings somewhere, but upon inspection, everything looks perfect. The car also handles beautifully, drives great, stops great, etc. If it were not for the noise, nothing would feel wrong. There seems to be no correlation of the noise to any kind of lack of performance.

I'm at a complete loss. I've inspected the area thoroughly, also with my dad (and both of us have a good amount of wrenching skills). We cannot find anything that looks abnormal. All bushings look good, the air suspension looks good, the steering column (from what we can see) looks good, the breaks look good, there are no loose pieces anywhere.

I did notice that the ACS fluid was low, but I refilled it with Mercedes-Benz brand fluid to it's appropriate level. That did not help.

I'm so frustrated at this point. And I have done extensive searching online to see if anyone has the answer to this, but I can find nothing. There just seems to be a lack of all information on W166's. Especially the ML63 AMG. I'm not sure why.

Can anyone please help? Thank you!

Hi there. Were you able to get it sorted. Reason I ask. I’m experiencing the same issue. Im a Trying to diagnose Front end knocking sound. All front has basically been replaced. Both upper control arms. Both lower control arms. Both Lower ball joints. Left and right swaybar linkages. You’ll hear the video the knocking sound. We can’t work out what else it could be. Thanking you.