Mobile Electronics and Lighting The archived forum for mobile electronics and lighting equipment for sale by members. Browse newer listings and create your own in our new Marketplace.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Audiophile Sony XES Z50 Car Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML400 Sportline
Audiophile Sony XES Z50 Car Audio

This is an audio system that most people don't know exists. In the 1990s, the Japanese started really getting into high-end sound in their cars and Sony created Mobile ES as their high-end audio line. It was available for both home and car applications. Seeing that Mobile ES just wasn't high-end enough, they created something better and called it XES. There were two dealers in Canada and about a dozen in the USA that had access to this line. There were about a dozen in Europe, a couple in the middle east, and a couple in Asia. The original price is $8000 US. In 1995, the second generation of the XES setup came out, called XES Z50. It vastly improved and simplified installation. There are two components: a DIN-sized controller with LCD screen and a 10-disk changer with built in processor. This was originally conceived to compete with Pioneer ODR, Clarion AD-CS1, the tube-based deck from Panasonic, Alpine F#1 Status (it did come later on) and therefore, doesn't have an amp built in. My unit is the more desirable European spec which has extra functions the US model lacks, like over-the-air traffic updates and RDS. I bought this unit as new-old stock from the UK via a contact in the Yahoo ODR group. It has only been installed in my W140. I had it connected to the original BOSE speaker/amp and it sounds amazing. It was professionally installed and removed. All original parts are included as is original box and packaging. Manuals, the computer software from Sony and from an independent coder are included on CD. The system looks and functions as new and it is very much at home in a Mercedes-Benz. Price is $1500 US. I'll ship anywhere in the world. I'll post pictures in the next post.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML400 Sportline
Audiophile Sony XES Z50 Car Audio - SOLD!

Thanks everyone, for your interest. This unit is now Sold!