M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

How to light the leds along with the headlights ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls 250 amg cdi
Originally Posted by paunica
I want to make both Led lights from the Headlights and from the bumper to work during the day as daylights , but I don't know how to do it and I have seen some pictures on the internet with some cars that they made it work .

Does somebody know if it's possible because I have ILS

i would also like to know how to do this. i have seen a few cls's driving round with the drl and the led strips in the headlights (driving lamps i think). looks good. anybody know how to do this please
Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Ban DRLs?

Enjoy!: http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...uring-day.html

And: http://www.lightsout.org/story.html
Old 05-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS550
Daylight LEDs + low beam and brow lights

Did anybody figure out how to have the LED strips and the headlights ON during the day? Mine light up like that on auto, as soon as it gets dark. Is there a sensor somewhere that can be covered to trick it into thinking it's dark?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Carrera S;
In NE USA, I have seen many ML's and GL's running during day with LEDs and the amber brow lighted. I have a 2014 GL550 with light package. In Auto during day, only LEDs on. In Auto at night, low beams, LEDs and amber eyebrow light.

How can I get LEDs and amber brows during day as some ML/GLs have?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 05:02 PM

2018 GLS550
Originally Posted by mist68
In NE USA, I have seen many ML's and GL's running during day with LEDs and the amber brow lighted. I have a 2014 GL550 with light package. In Auto during day, only LEDs on. In Auto at night, low beams, LEDs and amber eyebrow light.

How can I get LEDs and amber brows during day as some ML/GLs have?

Thanks
I have the same problem as you on my 2014 ML. You say you see some on the road with LEDs and brows.... Did you notice if they are new or older vehicles? I wonder if it was the case in previous generation and they changed it now for new vehicles?
Old 05-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Carrera S;
They were either 2013 or 14,
Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 PM

2018 GLS550
Can someone in the USA confirm that they have LED strips and amber brow lights ON during the day?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 PM

2014 ML350, 2012 AM Vantage S Roadster
I was at the dealer today... tried to get this to work on an 2014 ML that was on the show room floor. The only way I could get the eye brows to light with the LED day times was when I had the switch set to parking lights and the car was running. NO headlights though!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 PM

Carrera S;
On 2014 GL550-when you switch on parking lamps, the LEDs shut down
Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Owlet
Can someone in the USA confirm that they have LED strips and amber brow lights ON during the day?
I have never seen the both at the same time. I am pretty sure it is all programmed into the computer from the factory and a non-adjustable user option.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM

2018 GLS550
Well, mist68 says he sees cars like that on the road... And some other people seem to think they see that on other cars. I myself can't say I saw any, but I live where there aren't many cars like that around.
I think if people truly see cars with lights like that, it could be that it was getting darker and they do light up like that for the night. But they come on long before it's really dark, obviously. I saw that on mine even on a nasty rainy day, because it was kind of darkish...
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Carrera S;
The headlights will come on in rain after a specific number of "wipes".

Again, if in auto, when the headlights come on, so do the amber brows. The LEDs are on but at lower lumen.

We have a lot of GLs/MLs in my area of CT and I know I've seen the LEDs and amber brows on w/o headlights.

Anyway, not a big deal-car is simply great so far.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 PM

2018 GLS550
Yeah, car is great. No complaints from me either, just minor gripes :-P. It would be beautiful though with brow lights during the day. I wish someone would come here and tell us if they have it, if they truly exist.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Owlet
Well, mist68 says he sees cars like that on the road... And some other people seem to think they see that on other cars. I myself can't say I saw any, but I live where there aren't many cars like that around.
I think if people truly see cars with lights like that, it could be that it was getting darker and they do light up like that for the night. But they come on long before it's really dark, obviously. I saw that on mine even on a nasty rainy day, because it was kind of darkish...
Well, I am just saying I have never seen it before. Seems if it were possible, someone would have chimed in by now. I have tried every different combination and can not get both on at the same time. I looked a new GLs on the road for months before my purchase and in Florida you only get one or the other but not both!

Last edited by GregGebhardt; 05-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
In Europe, if you have Xenons (be that ILS or others), then the LED DLR lights (that go where fog lights are normally) dim to 10% when the Xenons are on.
If you do not have Xenon but have LED DLR, then they turn OFF when the Xenon are on.

This can be changed, but only by very few people who know how to do it, and have proper online star diagnosis. (talk to www.comand.co.uk in UK for instance)

If you have Headlamp assist (camera to look at cars), when the switch is on AUTO and the lever is pushed toward front of car (the old way of putting main beam on permanently) then a little picture of a headlight lights up with an A in it, and dipped / main happens automatically. Just turn the headlamp switch to "lights on" and it becomes manual like it used to be.

If you turn the headlamp switch to "on" instead of Auto, I *think* you get both the DLR and the LED strip within the light on - but of course your auto dipped/main then goes off. I think that is how my ML works, presumably only when you have DLR turned on in cluster settings,

Richard
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM

2018 GLS550
Richard, if you turn the lights to ON instead of AUTO, the LEDs turn off, and the headlights with brow lights are on. So that doesn't do what we're trying to accomplish, which is have LEDs and brow lights ON during the day.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:54 PM

W166 on factory order :)
What I'm trying to find out is if the straight DRL strip in the bumper and the curved LED strip in the headlight can be on at same time during the day without headlights on?

I'm quite sure I've seen this in Australia on a rare occasion.

Anyone?

Last edited by Binxx; 10-13-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2014, 06:14 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by paunica
I want to make both Led lights from the Headlights and from the bumper to work during the day as daylights , but I don't know how to do it and I have seen some pictures on the internet with some cars that they made it work .

Does somebody know if it's possible because I have ILS
This thread started back in 2012. All the way up to today no one has been able to do as you wish. Laws vary from country to country and in the USA to DOT regulates the vehicle lighting. The LEDS in the USA are for daytime use when at full power.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 PM

W166 on factory order :)
Yes this started back in 2012. With software updates things might have changed?

One of the software updates I believe is that for 2014 ML's the car shows you the gear you are in and moves up from 1 - 7 as you accelerate and downwards as you slow down.

Going back to the headlights, there are also some pics on the web of ML's in Kuwait which have this feature.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
I have a 2015 ML400. Here is how mine works:

- During the day - the LED strip is on because they are DRL. They are very bright.

- At night, when the orange brow lights up and the headlights come on the LED strips dim down considerably. But nonetheless, they are all on.

- If I want to, I can take the lights of off Auto and put them on P. These leaves the LED strips on and lights up the orange brow while leaving the headlights off. Looks pretty cool.

- I haven't had to use my rear LED fog light yet, LoL, but I'm sure it looks cool too.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Binxx
Yes this started back in 2012. With software updates things might have changed?

One of the software updates I believe is that for 2014 ML's the car shows you the gear you are in and moves up from 1 - 7 as you accelerate and downwards as you slow down.

Going back to the headlights, there are also some pics on the web of ML's in Kuwait which have this feature.
I believe if we could order a vehicle from Kuwait . . . . . .
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
I have a 2015 ML400. Here is how mine works:

- During the day - the LED strip is on because they are DRL. They are very bright.

- At night, when the orange brow lights up and the headlights come on the LED strips dim down considerably. But nonetheless, they are all on.

- If I want to, I can take the lights of off Auto and put them on P. These leaves the LED strips on and lights up the orange brow while leaving the headlights off. Looks pretty cool.

- I haven't had to use my rear LED fog light yet, LoL, but I'm sure it looks cool too.

Hope this helps.
Once upon a time I had a saab with a rear fog, one brake light would light very bright. I jumped it to the other brake light so they both lit. There was no better way to get a tailgater off your *** than flipping that rear fog light on a few times. You're not putting anyone at risk, you're just tricking him into applying his brakes.
if you use it with the gas pedal, you can put 75ft between you and the tailgater in a few seconds. doubt you can jump the led's in the benz.

These days I just pull over and let tailgaters pass....unless I'm in the AMG, there's a very simple fix for tailgaters there.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by schorert1
Once upon a time I had a saab with a rear fog, one brake light would light very bright. I jumped it to the other brake light so they both lit. There was no better way to get a tailgater off your *** than flipping that rear fog light on a few times. You're not putting anyone at risk, you're just tricking him into applying his brakes.
if you use it with the gas pedal, you can put 75ft between you and the tailgater in a few seconds. doubt you can jump the led's in the benz.

These days I just pull over and let tailgaters pass....unless I'm in the AMG, there's a very simple fix for tailgaters there.
My 2014 350BT already has a great anti tailgating device built right in.

All I have to do is hold the windshield washer button in for a few seconds and it covers the vehicle behind me. Never fails to get the offending tailgater off your rear end.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:13 AM

Carrera S;
Exactly-had an M3 tailgating this past weekend on Merritt Parkway-did a rather meticulous wash and he dodged into right lane. Great
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM

glk350,s500
Originally Posted by RJR
Our LED lights stay on with the headlights when set to the auto position. We have the lighting package. Not sure if that makes a difference. It does look neat at night with everything on. I think I remember reading somewhere that the LED's do not stay on without the lighting package. Not sure.
No True I have lighting package and my hockey sticks turn off at night not dim BUT OFF and I want them on someone please help located south Florida

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to light the leds along with the headlights ?