M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Side skirts on the ML550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Side skirts on the ML550

easy swap with factory running boards. except that need new jack points for new side skirts. the running boards ones are a lot thicker than the ones I need to fit into the side skirts. people who have already done the swap be aware, you could really mess up the car with the wrong ones in place when on a hoist.
Attached Thumbnails Side skirts on the ML550-photo-3.jpg   Side skirts on the ML550-photo-2.jpg   Side skirts on the ML550-photo-1.jpg   Side skirts on the ML550-photo-4.jpg   Side skirts on the ML550-photo-5.jpg  

Side skirts on the ML550-front.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
Wow...that's looks fantastic and I wouldn't have thought a such minor change would have such an impact. Nicely done!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
easy swap with factory running boards. except that need new jack points for new side skirts. the running boards ones are a lot thicker than the ones I need to fit into the side skirts. people who have already done the swap be aware, you could really mess up the car with the wrong ones in place when on a hoist.
If you do not mind, what was the cost to replace (labor only, not the parts)? And who did the work (MB dealer or a body shop)? TIA
Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by threeMBs
If you do not mind, what was the cost to replace (labor only, not the parts)? And who did the work (MB dealer or a body shop)? TIA
body shop owned by neighbor did paint and install. install took 40 min. He hasn't charged me yet since we're waiting for the new plastic block lift blocks to come in.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS550
Hey, that's AWESOME! This is exactly what I need! Can you tell the part number for those side skirts? I assume they are from ML63 AMG.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by threeMBs
I did the same to my MY13 ML550 even before I drove it off the lot. Was not happy I couldn't order it without the running boards that reminded me of training wheels. MB of Portland changed me $1500 (with the Costco 15% discount) for parts, painting and install, including the smaller lift pucks.

Then sold the boards for $800.

Of course, now for MY14 you can order this look on the ML 350.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by gplank
I did the same to my MY13 ML550 even before I drove it off the lot. Was not happy I couldn't order it without the running boards that reminded me of training wheels. MB of Portland changed me $1500 (with the Costco 15% discount) for parts, painting and install, including the smaller lift pucks.

Then sold the boards for $800.

Of course, now for MY14 you can order this look on the ML 350.
But it won't drove like the ml550!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by Owlet
Hey, that's AWESOME! This is exactly what I need! Can you tell the part number for those side skirts? I assume they are from ML63 AMG.
Working on it. Asked the parts guy to give me the actual numbers
Old 03-27-2014, 05:57 PM

2018 GLS550
Working on it. Asked the parts guy to give me the actual numbers
Thanks! I'm still a little confused though, what all the other parts I need in addition to the side panels themselves. I've found this diagram, but no MB part numbers on it. So, when I buy the side panels, will they come with all the parts from this diagram?

It looks like I need 2 side panels, 2 mountain rails for them and 4 moldings (which I don't know what they are for???)...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Thanks! I'm still a little confused though, what all the other parts I need in addition to the side panels themselves. I've found this diagram, but no MB part numbers on it. So, when I buy the side panels, will they come with all the parts from this diagram?

It looks like I need 2 side panels, 2 mountain rails for them and 4 moldings (which I don't know what they are for???)...
Just need 2 side panels. 2 brackets to hold panels and 4 jack hoist blocks. All the same screws fit from your oem car. There are no weather strippings to get. Actually maybe there is weather strips. I don't have them though. Anyone with factory side skirts do you have rubber strips between a the panels and the car? Pics?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
This is the diagram I used for the dealer to get my parts. He got a vin from an ml63 to match it up. This sketch is missing the jack hoist plastic blocks that need to be changed though for of them. Be sure to order these too or the side skirts will get damaged when raised up.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 PM

2018 GLS550
This is the diagram I used for the dealer to get my parts. He got a vin from an ml63 to match it up. This sketch is missing the jack hoist plastic blocks that need to be changed though for of them. Be sure to order these too or the side skirts will get damaged when raised up.
Are those 4 hoist blocks bigger or smaller than the existing ones? Do they go instead of, on top or what?
Thanks for your help and all the info, I really appreciate it. You know you have to tell those people how to do everything 😋
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Are those 4 hoist blocks bigger or smaller than the existing ones? Do they go instead of, on top or what?
Thanks for your help and all the info, I really appreciate it. You know you have to tell those people how to do everything 😋
The new hoist blocks are thinner than the exhisting ones from the running boards. You will use your exhisting screws too. You don't need to order screws.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 AM

2018 GLS550
The new hoist blocks are thinner than the exhisting ones from the running boards. You will use your exhisting screws too. You don't need to order screws.
Got everything lined up now, thanks to your help. Really appreciate all the help, couldn't have done this without you and this forum.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML63 AMG, 2015 RAM 2500, 1968 Charger
Has anyone been able to determine the part numbers for the smaller jack pads? I completed the change over to the side skirts from the running boards and absolutely love the look, but I'm missing jack pads right now because the old ones obviously don't work with the side skirts.

Would appreciate any updates from this 6 year old thread.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Jclaus98 - the original jack blocks that come on the car that has the running board is two pieced. :You can pry them apart and use only half. I did this when I replaced the running boards on my 2015 ML350 and put the standard rockers on ( ie I pained them white). (see my picture) Not as neat as the AMG rocker. Then The problem was that I could not mount them because the screw/bolt that held the two pieced jack would not fit. So what I did was glue the small block to the frame. I cleaned the frame off and put a epoxy glue and then jacked up that one position to keep pressure on the block so it would stick. Be working for over 4 years now. One reason mine does not look as neat is the lower panel behind the rear wheel is still black. Ive never gotten around to having it wrapped or painted.

Last edited by Isawelvis; 04-08-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: additional informationmation
Old 04-08-2020, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML63 AMG, 2015 RAM 2500, 1968 Charger
Isawelvis - Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated. I did exactly what you did - painted the standard black plastic side skirts to match the metallic white. I got color matched 3 stage spray paint and it actually turned out really nice. Color is a little off, but with the chrome trim between the bottom of the doors and the side skirts, it's *less* noticeable - at least that's what I tell myself. If nothing else, it bugs me WAAAYYYYY less when I get out of the car, the back of my calf doesn't hit the stupid running boards anymore. My OCD is well-defined. At any rate, I know what you mean about the jack pads being two piece but without any mounting holes if those aren't attached to the mounting bracket, I guess the only way you could attach them to the car would be to do what you did. I've looked high and low on parts schematics looking for the parts that *should* replace those jack pads when using either the AMG side skirts or the regular side skirts and nary a result has emerged. I think I saw somewhere that there's a metal bracket that bolts in place of the large plastic mounting brackets that came with the running boards, but I have yet to re-stumble upon that bracket/pad setup. Would sure be nice if one of the fine gentlemen that came before us and were able to switch these out could chime in with part numbers, but if not, I fear I'll need to call the dreaded stealership. Cheers!
Old 04-09-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Just checked my pads today. They are still on and car has been serviced by MB dealer many times and no mention of being a problem or when I have someone rotate the tires. Good luck