Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Purchased 03 SL55 AMG - Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Purchased 03 SL55 AMG - Questions

Recently purchased low mileage (35K miles) bone stock SL55 AMG. After inspection and oil change by MB in Denver, drove to Ottawa, Canada and return over 10 day period to get to know the car. I had it inspected at the MB dealer in Ottawa before the drive back to CO. MB Ottawa stated the car was in great shape, except for a little bit of play in the ball joints. Questions based upon my shake-down run:
1. I've noticed a slight hesitation and heard a squeak when adding some throttle at relativley low RPM. I am assuming this is the supercharger clutch engaging. Is this a correct assumption, and is it normal?
2. The engine appears to run hot at city speeds, although below 100C. As well, as I was waiting at the border, the engine seemed to idle a bit rough and the temperature gauge climbed alarmingly, though no buzzers, bells or flashing lights would indicate that it was above the "normal' range. A bit of coolant did burp out of the expansion container although MB Ottawa stated this was not abnormal. Is this indeed normal?
3. The last point is just a statement. What a wonderful car, and a hoot to drive.
Sorry for being long-winded, and I won't be in future posts. Any one with insight into my queries above?
Thank you very much for your time.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
I've copied my original message over to the SL55 forum and have received a number of comments. Thanks to all for having read it!