Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2013 | 04:43 PM

2005 GMC Sierra 3500
Newbie Question

I am real close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 E63 AMG that has 53,000 miles on it. It is offered by a private seller. Is there an add on warranty I can purchase from MB. I would like the warm and fuzzy feeling of a warranty for at least one year. I plan on bringing it in to my closest dealership for an inspection before forking over the cash. Does anyone have any knowledge on after market warranties etc. ? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2013 | 09:43 AM

2004 AMG E55
Exclamation Get a manufacturers warrantee

I was researching aftermarket warranties before buying my E55 and these are conclusions I came to. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

1) 3rd party warranties stink. In my opinion, a few years ago they were a good investment for a little piece of mind. Now the contracts are so full of loopholes it's nearly impossible to get them to pay a decent amount of the repair bills. As a result, many repair shops don't even want to deal with them.

2) MB does offer some extended coverage of 3 or 4 years but my understanding is the they have to certify the car ( ie "certified per-owned"). I think you can pay to have this done but i'm not sure who would have to do it or how much it would cost. This wasn't an option for me because my car is a 2004 and is too old.

Bottom line is MB is an expensive car to repair but some would say because its a high quality car it doesn't need repairs as often. I don't know if that's true but I would tend to believe it. Pay certified master technician to do a pre-purchase inspection. If an extended warrantee is not available from MB be ready with a wad of cash in case something goes wrong.