Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

CL500 engine knock/loud tick on load

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
CL500 engine knock/loud tick on load

I just bought a 2002 CL500 from a friend. In park or neutral the engine is strong and hums with strength like it should (51K miles). However, on starting cold there is a definite knock in the engine for about 20 seconds, then subsides to a tick. Once warm, there is nothing but smooth sound.
Problem: upon load at about 1500 RPM there appears a definite knock/loud tick that is constant and regular. It can be heard in the cabin very distinctly. When reaching your desired speed and then maintaining, there is no noticeable knock. When accelerating to a higher speed, the sound returns. The knock is only on acceleration!
I was told to reset the ABC setting.....nothing. I was told it could be the motor mounts, meaning one or more has weakened and allowing engine to shift creating knock against frame. I was told to look at a new AC pump.

Does anyone have any history / resolution to this problem. Ready to take it to a dealer and also an independent to get an opinion but wanted to see what the board suggests first.

Any help much appreciated
Bulabob