Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

code retrieval issues 95 e420

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89' 300e, 83' 300sd, 95' 420e
code retrieval issues 95 e420

Hello
New member have been reading these forums for years with out joining in.
Most all of my questions have been answered in previous threads. Have been messing around with mb's for 30 years and I have hit a problem that I cannot figure out. Just purchased a 95 e420 for next to nothing .Had obvious problems with eta and wiring harness. Dissected the eta to replaced bad potentiometer. This was discovered by plugging it in with it uninstalled on car. At idle with key on it would buzz like it was suppose to. as soon as I moved the throttle it would go into limp mode (bad pot). This was replaced and bench tested with good readings for motor, clutch, potentiometers, and switches. When plugging it back into car to test it would immediately limp mode as soon as the key was turned on. I cannot even get it to buzz at all.
I tried to retrieve the codes with a home made code reader and no codes are present on any pins. get power and ground at pins 1 and 3 but press the button and the light only stays on for as long as you hold the button
I did drive this car home in limp mode. I thought that when removing the eta that I disturbed the wiring harness and that I may have some wires touching in the harness so I changed the upper harness. This did not change anything as I can still not read any codes. I thought I should at least get on for no maf being hooked up ?? Anyone have any ideas where I should start to diagnose this problem?
Thanks