Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

New 2005 E500 Owner (well father)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
New 2005 E500 Owner (well father)

Hello,

I have recently purchased a used, 2005, E500 for my son. It has a LOT of miles on it, but I got a very good price. I give it to him next week for his birthday (then he needs to work on getting a driver's license).

It had five known issues issues, a couple I've fixed, one I will work on and a couple I'm not sure how to approach.

Fixed (Two)
1) Rt. Parking light out (fixed w/new bulb)

2) Front Sun Visors would not go up all the way (fixed with light lube)

Going to fix (One)
3) Rear vents blow hot air even if set to cool/Lo (will replace Heater Control Valve myself next weekend).

Not sure yet how to approach (Two)
4) There's a lens covering a blank spot (where a fog light would go) that is broke, there's no bulb in there (just a pentagon shaped silver plug) but I need a new lens... I just don't know what it's called to order it.

5) The seat pocket behind the driver's seat is ripped open (the plastic piece towards the center of the car is broke)...I don't know if this can be bought separately or how to tell the color of the interior.

---------

I look forward to contributing and learning from this forum, I've been fairly active in my other vehicles' forums and am a decent DIY'er.

Cheers,
Todd

Last edited by ToddnMiss; 06-15-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:46 PM

2005 E500
One more thing...

... sorry, there is a 6th issue...

I have the "right license plate light" warning on the car. I purchased a new bulb, but it did not help.

Being a bit of a troubleshooter, I swapped the right side with the left side and could get the left side working (though, with the "new" bulb it flashed on for 1 second every 5 seconds).

This led me to believe two things:

1) The bulb I bought may not be right for this car (thus the intermittent working even with the same left side hardware).

2) I must have a broken wire somewhere on the right side... probably around a connection point on either side of the wiring harness....looks like I'll have some fun hunting to do soon

Oh, I'll need to find another "new" bulb... stupid me threw out the old bulb on the non-workind side. I'll need the correct one (it seems the one I bought is wrong -- really bright though when it flashed "on")

Cheers,
Todd
Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 AM

2005 E500
Ugh, I have a 7th issue... the 12V charger at the rear of the center console does not have power (the one in the trunk does).

I'll post these in the W211 area.