Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

New member needs advice on cars for daughters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing MB yet
New member needs advice on cars for daughters

Hi
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have 4 teenage daughters and am quickly entering the scary world of daughter drivers. My 18 yr old is pretty good. Doesn't take any chances. The middle one (now 16) scares the heck out of me. I call her the middle one cause we have 14 yr old twin daughters after her.

Helmet Head, the middle one, is type A aggressive with the lead foot. So it occurred to me to QUICKLY sell my extra vehicle, the '88 FJ60 Landcruiser, and get something with very little pickup, but safe, and reliable. And I remembered some of the early 80s MBs my friends had in my college days.
Ideally, I need something cheap (I mentioned the 4 daughters, right?), but something that I can work on myself and keep running without having a degree in electrical engineering.
So I found the forum and hoping I can get some solid advice.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:03 PM

1983 300 SD/1984 300 CD
The early-mid 80's MB diesels are a good choice, all of 128 HP from the factory.

The 123 chassis (E class) in particular is, well, was quite well built and robust, easy to work on too.

Keep in mind it would need wrenching and to pay for a lot of work will drain a wallet.

Normal routine stuff can be handled by just about anyone familiar with a wrench.

There will be times it'll be sidelined due to waiting on parts.

The 126 chassis has the same engine and is heavier.

Inquire in the particular sections for more info.

Hope to see you on the forum in the future.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I'm not sure any of these are particularly compelling... however...

http://blog.cochran.com/wordpress/in...-teen-drivers/
Old 01-03-2015, 05:03 PM

2015 ML350 4-Matic - 2014 C300 4-Matic - 2011 GL450 4-Matic & 2006 E350 4-Matic
Awesome daughter car -- mid 90's MB300E

Hi there, I had same thoughts when my son turned 16 a few years ago. Since our family has only had Mercedes and Lexus cars in the past we knew it has to be one of those.
Back then we chose a 1995 MB300D. It was a high mile diesel and the entire family quickly named it "the Beast". Reasons: Solid car - 4 doors - air bags - etc. We figured he can drive that until the first " .. I swear, I did not mean to hit it .." -- which came within few months as we knew it would ...
Now my daughter is approaching quickly the magical age too. We have decided to get her a high mile '01-'02 - E320-4Matic. Mostly same reasons as earlier, added with 4Matic for the NE weather ...Another one we were considering was '00-'05 ML320 but I think maybe E-class would be better to begin with.
One of the reasons may also be that I work on MB's myself ....
What ever you choose good luck, I am sure you will make a good decision!

Last edited by Boston_MB_tuner; 01-03-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add on.