Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

HELP! M272 Balance Shaft Priblem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
HELP! M272 Balance Shaft Problem

Normally I'm a careful buyer. Not so when I bought my R350 3 years ago. Now the infamous M272 balance shaft soft sprocket issue has reared in ugly and costly head. I'm looking for the most efficient solution to keep and continue driving the car as overall we really like it. 7K mol is the dealership quote I'm hearing to simply replace the soft sprocket. Almost what the car is worth! We bought the car w/50K on it. (yes I checked and the engine build # is in the range plus I can hear looseness/chatter in the timing chain) Currently has 133K. The Check Engine Light (CEL) came on 3 weeks ago intermittently at first now on consistently. Please make suggestions. Here's what I'm thinking. Buy a new 3.5 (M276) with fewer mile and the sprocket issue resolved at manufacture. What I don't know and haven't found is whether the swap is plug n play with the 06 R350 (tranny etc) I can swap R/R the sprocket for roughly 4-5K at a local german oriented mechanic that seems capable but wonder if the swap would get me longer better service for about the same price, (2011 e350 3.5 for 3,495 on ebay) HELP! and Thanks!

Last edited by chip5322; 11-17-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: misspelled word in title