Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Cooner6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 mercedes benz SL500
Cooner6

Just wanted to say hi and hopefully gather some info from others with similar issues as I have.
This is my 3rd Mercedes in the last 40 years. 1978 300D had 318K when I sold it. Have a 1993 SL500 which my Son and I have restored. Needed new convertible top, complete front suspension, brakes and rotors and paint. Great running little car with 97K. Just bought a 2003 SL55 Supercharged with 74K. Now that one is scary. I'm 78, retired for 20 years and love restoring cars. Been turning wrenches as a hobby since I was 16. Google has been a tremendous help in figuring things out and Alldatadiy.com is also good reference.
The SL55 didn't need much work. More TLC than anything. I'm a stickler about a clean engine. First thing I did was put it on the lift and pressure washed the underside. The engine looks like a new one. The first thing I did was change all the fluids to specs. I'm not used to not having an oil dipstick. The split idler pulley was making a noise. I replaced the bearing and that took care of that issue. I have a high pitch whirring sound when I first start the engine and it goes away once it warms up. Thinking maybe the supercharger is low on oil. I'm waiting for Mobile Jet Oil 11 to show up. Will siphon as much of the oil out and fill it up with the Jet Oil. YouTube does a good video on the procedure. But can't find anything on the oil capacity of the supercharger. Any specs on this issue would be appreciated. Happy Motoring...jc