Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

What would you do for a company car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang gt, ram 2500
What would you do for a company car?

I’m a small business owner specializing in clear bra paint protection film and I’m interested in purchasing a luxury sedan for my company. Its purpose will be to use as a demonstrator and to offer to customers as a loaner vehicle.

I’m looking for something that will be safe, reliable and relatively inexpensive to own/maintain. Interior space is a concern since I am 6’3 and I will be transporting customers in this vehicle. AWD is a requirement since I live in New England and customers will be driving this vehicle. And of course price is a major concern. It must be under $20k. Ideally under $15 for my budget…

Based on my experience I’m looking at:
2008+ c300 or e350
2009+ A4, A6, or S4 if I can find one I can afford.
2008+ 3 or 5 series

I know this is a Mercedes forum so I’m sure there will be some bias, but based on your experience what do you recommend? Any specific pros or cons for any of these vehicles based on what I need it for? Any other cars I should add to the list?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Hey I'd say E class,A6,or 5 series honestly C class,A4 and 3 series is to small for tall people I'm 6'3" and in my c class its a very tight fit if someone wants to sit behind me and if there larger theres no chance they will fit behind the driver.

I personally loved the E class out of all the cars i looked to buy but i got a great deal on the C so i jumped on it as i don't really drive more than 3 people at a time and the deal for a 2012 was too good to pass up.

You can get a really nice 2008-2009 E350 4 Matic with AMG sport package that looks amazing and has tons of room, all the options for under 20k.

If i upgrade to another car it will be an E class just for space, test drove the 5 series liked it but the interior is so dated compared to the Mercedes. the Audi had a pretty dated interior as well the Mercedes was quite, comfortable and sporty at the same time best off all worlds in one car.

I might be bias but test drive all of them I'm sure you'll agree.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:54 PM

Mustang gt, ram 2500
I agree, but I'm not a big fan of the look of the 08-09 e-class. The front end with the round lights... And the front is what I'll be showing off when I display the paint protection film. I really like the 2010+ e350 as they look and feel a lot sportier, but those are a lot more money. Actually my first choice would be a 2010+ e350 4matic, but I think my budget may prevent me from getting one.

I've driven all the cars. I like all of them, but not one really stands out as better than the rest (except the s4 or 10+ e350). I've been searching the hardest for one of those two, but all the ones I can afford seem to be near or over 100k miles which makes me worry about reliability. I know any of these cars are fine for 100+ if they were well taken care of, but won knows how the previous owner(s) treated the car.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh defiantly the 2010+ are much prettier but I personally like the 2 round lights on the 2009 also. I'm just saying with the budget you have you might be able to find something 2010 at an auction with 80,000km on it but you'll have to search long and hard and hope your the only one bidding.

the S4 is to small and you'll be in the same boat as the C class 3 people max no one will be able to sit behind you. If you are looking to transport people A6, 5, E are the models you should be looking at.

https://mbworld.org/articles/potw-su...9-e350-4matic/ take a look at what a few mods do to the car, lower it put nice rims on it and it looks like a million bucks In my opinion

Last edited by MB Marko; 04-12-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 PM

Mustang gt, ram 2500
New wheels and the flush hood emblem definitely make a huge difference! I might have to go take a second look at those years. I might go back and drive the c class too and have someone sit behind me to see how that works out.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DiamondPPF
New wheels and the flush hood emblem definitely make a huge difference! I might have to go take a second look at those years. I might go back and drive the c class too and have someone sit behind me to see how that works out.
Ya try it out I'm 6'3" and average build 180 pounds i have to have the seat all the way back to drive comfortably my girlfriend is 5'10" and skinny and if she sits behind me she has trouble. I always have to move the seat up and drive in an uncomfortable position just so she has a little extra room. but your free to try it out its your car check out the W211 picture three in there forum to see other nice mods on tons of cars.

but defiantly flat badge rims and if you wanted a new grille make the car look totally different but make sure if you go with the E get one with the AMG package they look better
Old 04-14-2016, 10:54 AM

Mustang gt, ram 2500
So I went and test drove a bunch of cars back to back at Carmax. Side note, that was probably the best/least pushy salesman/no pressure experience I've ever had at a car dealer! I definitely like the E350 the best, but based on what I've found for sale I think it may be cost prohibitive. The salesman suggested I look at the G37x sedan while I was there. I had a g35 coupe years ago that I loved.

The G37 with similar year/milage/options is slightly cheaper than the Mercedes. It definitely doesn't have that same luxury feel/driving experience as the Mercedes though. Personally I think it makes more sense because it's less expensive and something I can maintain myself, but I'm not sure how potential customers would respond to it.

I can't imagine it would be that big a deal, but what do you think? If you're having me do paint protection film on your Mercedes are you going to care if I give you an Infiniti (instead of a German luxury car) or are you just going to be happy you didn't have to bum a ride?

I also offer pick up and delivery service and I'm thinking about that first in person impression. We've already talked on the phone or in person about film and you've decided to do the job. When I get to your house or office to pick up the car does your first impression change if I show up in a Mercedes vs and Infiniti?

Again, I may be over thinking this, but I had a friend who owned a detail business who also offered pick up and delivery. He drove an old beat up honda with a terrible paint job and I always wondered what does the customer who's paying you to pick up and detail his car think when he sees you pull up in that thing?