Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help pls ! Mercedes CPO vs New Jeep GC 2016 V6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Newbie needs help pls ! Mercedes CPO vs New Jeep GC 2016 V6

Hello Friends,

I am new to the forum and have been desperately trying to figure out my car buying options.

I am looking for a decently equipped SUV in 40-45K mark and i really liked the new Jeep Grand Cherokee 2016 Overland with comes loaded with AirSuspension/4 terrain/Adaptive Cruise Control/Park Assist/Premium sound etc.

But i happened to drop by a mercedes showroom and saw some beautiful Ml350s and GL450s which looked great in shape.

Now there are 2 of them a 2015 ML350 with 15000 miles with CPO and warranty upto 2020 for 45K with and a

2013 GL450 ,CPO with warranty upto 2018 with 37000 miles on it for 47K $ with . Lighting Package and Lane Assist Package.

So now i would like to know if its worth investing 45K on a CPO or should i go and buy a new vehicle. I take very good care of my cars but in either case i dont want to end with long bills.

I cannot afford a new 70K merc for sure but for my budget i can surely live my german car dream but i donot want that at the cost of unexpected bills that will rob my bank.

Can any one please suggest me ? i really need to decide quickly as i am currently on a rental car

P.S : mods please move this post to the relevant forum if not appropriate here

Last edited by pheonix; 08-23-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:00 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Lots of variables.... cost of ownership (maintenance/repairs) of a luxury brand will be higher than your Jeep so make sure you factor that in your decision. CPO helps offset some of the risks for sure with a used vehicle and I wouldn't have any issues getting in the 2015 ML to be honest. Do you need the extra capacity of the GL? More risk involved with slightly older and less warranty. There's no question that it'll be a dream to drive and the luxury appointments are head and shoulder above the Jeep.... but as long as you're ok with the price to play in maintaining, I'd go with the ML350.

Good luck with your choice
Old 08-23-2016, 05:53 PM

None
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
I wouldn't have any issues getting in the 2015 ML to be honest.
Thanks so much for your reply. Appreciate that. I thought no would ever do.

Jeez as we speak tht 2015 ML350 is gone. There is a 2014 with 25K miles and warranty for 3 years for 47Grand. Do you think this is worth giving a shot ? I will go for a TD today though.

I know a car in US is a dead investment but I am trying to assess the value here , if i want to ever sell this after the warranty period how bad would the depreciation be for the ML models ? Say in a year how much percentage would i lose ?

Do you need the extra capacity of the GL? More risk involved with slightly older and less warranty.
You are right . Though i think its a beautiful truck i will give it a pass for now.
There's no question that it'll be a dream to drive and the luxury appointments are head and shoulder above the Jeep.... but as long as you're ok with the price to play in maintaining, I'd go with the ML350.
I need to check out how the maintenance costs are going to be over the next couple of years.
On that note, what do you say about the E350 sports sedan. There are couple of 2014s for 35K$ used for about 28K miles. I just loved them. I was thinking i could get them for meantime save the extra 10-12 grand and go for something big down the line ?

Again the same question how is the resale value going to be for this particular model.

Sorry for being too nube, i am new to US and US car market
Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

From what I understand, there wasn't anything significant changed between 2014 and 2015 model MLs so really just comes down to the condition of the vehicle.

I love the new w212 E classes. If you don't really need the extra capacity of an ML and are fine with a sedan, that will be a great vehicle to get into. How's the CPO warranty on the E class?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

As for depreciation.... luxury vehicles will suffer a higher rate of depreciation.... just the nature of the beast. However, coming in the used car market, previous owner ate the largest chunk first.

And for your ownership cost research, call around your local independents who service MBs, make sure they have STAR diagnostics machine and inquire as to the cost of Service A and B as those will be your primary yearly maintenance jobs.
The following users liked this post:
pheonix (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM

None
[QUOTE=AZN Optics;6896500]As for depreciation.... luxury vehicles will suffer a higher rate of depreciation.... just the nature of the beast. However, coming in the used car market, previous owner ate the largest chunk first.
[QUOTE]

You are right. This is the main reason i was hesitant to go for a new one.

And for your ownership cost research, call around your local independents who service MBs, make sure they have STAR diagnostics machine and inquire as to the cost of Service A and B as those will be your primary yearly maintenance jobs.
So the 2014 E350 CP0 has warranty till 2018 and if i choose to go through MBFinance i get a 2 year maintenance free. So that means i am worry free for the first 2 years.

I have a TD for the 2014 MLs tommorow and i can make a decision. Thanks to your suggestions i dropped the Jeep Grand cherokee from the cards. So its just between ML and the E class.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
s550 e 320
[QUOTE=pheonix;6896647][QUOTE=AZN Optics;6896500]As for depreciation.... luxury vehicles will suffer a higher rate of depreciation.... just the nature of the beast. However, coming in the used car market, previous owner ate the largest chunk first.

You are right. This is the main reason i was hesitant to go for a new one.

So the 2014 E350 CP0 has warranty till 2018 and if i choose to go through MBFinance i get a 2 year maintenance free. So that means i am worry free for the first 2 years.

I have a TD for the 2014 MLs tommorow and i can make a decision. Thanks to your suggestions i dropped the Jeep Grand cherokee from the cards. So its just between ML and the E class.

Add the extended cpo warranty you can add and you would have covered until
2021. (7years from in service date) Shop dealers for cost. Should be around $3k.
The following users liked this post:
pheonix (08-24-2016)