C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

New member with a question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 bmw m3, 15 ram 3500, 98 c43?
New member with a question

Hello everyone. I am joining this forum pre-emptively. I have honestly never owned a mercedes, I have however owned a slew of bmw' s and vw's over the years. I currently have a E46 M3 SMG. I really do love the car but have had a complete smg failure and a massive repair bill to go along with it, the worst part of this is there is no guarantee this won't happen again soon. Now this is something that wife wife says isn't doable. So it has to go. She suggests that i buy a mustang if i want a "toy" I cant do that, Im not ready now nor may I ever be a "mustang guy" so this brings me here. From what I have been told, a 90's benz is a very reliable car, and I have found what appears to be a very good deal on a 1998 c43 amg. It's a beautiful car and would give me a bit of German power, and hopefully the reliability that she wants in a car. This car has 116,000 miles, the owner has all the service records for it. It has had the transmission replaced sometime in its life as well and it is a really good price. I know coming into it that by comparison it is quite slower than what I have currently, but I am coming to a age that I just don't care lol. If you guys could let me know if getting rid of my m car for a c43 is the thing to do, or if I should look elsewhere, let me know. I'd like to go see this thing in person tomorrow. Anything I should look for? Thanks in advance! If I pick this up I will be around here a lot more!
Old 06-25-2017, 03:25 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Welcome to MBWorld. W202 is a great option and looks like you found a low mileage (relatively) specimen. As long as she's been well maintained, you'll love her.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome to MBWorld! Good luck with your purchase and if you ever need anything be sure to let me know.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W202 AMG forum...
Old 07-10-2017, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by Drkhse
Hello everyone. I am joining this forum pre-emptively. I have honestly never owned a mercedes, I have however owned a slew of bmw' s and vw's over the years. I currently have a E46 M3 SMG. I really do love the car but have had a complete smg failure and a massive repair bill to go along with it, the worst part of this is there is no guarantee this won't happen again soon. Now this is something that wife wife says isn't doable. So it has to go. She suggests that i buy a mustang if i want a "toy" I cant do that, Im not ready now nor may I ever be a "mustang guy" so this brings me here. From what I have been told, a 90's benz is a very reliable car, and I have found what appears to be a very good deal on a 1998 c43 amg. It's a beautiful car and would give me a bit of German power, and hopefully the reliability that she wants in a car. This car has 116,000 miles, the owner has all the service records for it. It has had the transmission replaced sometime in its life as well and it is a really good price. I know coming into it that by comparison it is quite slower than what I have currently, but I am coming to a age that I just don't care lol. If you guys could let me know if getting rid of my m car for a c43 is the thing to do, or if I should look elsewhere, let me know. I'd like to go see this thing in person tomorrow. Anything I should look for? Thanks in advance! If I pick this up I will be around here a lot more!
Sounds like you have found a nice vehicle. 98' MY with the transmission replaced, then you are good to go. The engine is bullet proof and other parts are strong too. Just normal wear and tear and maintenance to be done regularly. Use only Mobil1 engine oil and respect oil and filter changes. Transmission fluid and filter need to be changed also, despite MB saying it was filled for life

Apart from front brake rotors which are AMG specific and expensive, most parts come from the W202 parts bin. They are easy to find new or second hand and reasonable in price.

Check also for rust as during that era, most vehicle manufacturers overlooked this problem.

Hope you decide to jump on the c43 band wagon and welcome aboard here. Most if not all questions will find some reply, so just shoot