Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Possible SBC Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E320 CDi
Possible SBC Problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. My name is Heinri and I live in South Africa. I currently have a 2008 model E320 CDi sedan, which is a lovely car.

Recently I've been driving to work and back more often which is a 46km commute and I noticed a shudder on the steering wheel on 2 occasions. The shudder is caused by both the font calipers binding on the disks. No brakes applied when shudder is felt. This causes great heat build-up to the point where on the last occasion the brakes failed completely due to the brake fluid reaching boiling point.

I have no warning lights or messages on my dash indication anything abnormal. I assume the workshop will not be able to read off any fault codes, otherwise it would've shown some warning to me when the brakes failed. I've tried to read up as much as I can on the SBC system on the vehicle and I suspect 1 of 2 things. The problem is not with the calipers, because common sense tells me they will not fail or bind both at exactly the same time. The problem is either caused by the SBC software not releasing the brakes completely or by a sticking solenoid inside the SBC control unit.

The vehicle is at an independant workshop at the moment and awaiting their diagnosis, I'm doing some research on the forum as I understand that a replacement SBC is almost half the cars value.
If anyone has ever had this problem, please tell me how you got it resolved.
Thanks
Heinri