Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Whine during steering at low speeds AFTER flush and return line replacement.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 - 1997 SL 320 M104
Whine during steering at low speeds AFTER flush and return line replacement.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 97 R129, and after a pre-purchase inspection I was told the low pressure return line from the power steering reservoir needs to be replaced as that hose tends to deteriorate over time. I figured I may as well do a fluid flush as well as a filter replacement while I'm at it. Now after doing the flush, replacing the filter, replacing the hose, and cleaning the pump + surrounding area, I noticed no more signs of any leaks or fluid around the housing or hoses. But the subtle whine I would get when turning the wheel at low speeds before the flush has all of a sudden increased dramatically. I have been told when air is stuck in the steering system it'll form into bubbles which can form into foam and if so the whine may take several days to weeks to fade away. I'd rather this go away as soon as possible so I was wondering if anyone here had any tips on things I can do or do again to remove the air or bubbles in my steering system, or if there are any other elements or components I should check such as the pump itself or bearings within the pump or something. I am also very new to the car game so pardon any ignorance but would appreciate any tips or advice from this community. Thanks!!!