Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

4MATIC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mazda 6 wagon
4MATIC?

Am looking at buying an E series wagon...prefer the early '90's version with the straight 6 but good ones are getting hard to find so will probably end up with an early late '90's/early 2000's V6. Am not interested in the AWD 4MATIC system - don't want it and definitely don't need it in Virginia Beach.

There's a 2001 E320 wagon at a local used car lot which is advertised as being a 4MATIC but there's no 4MATIC badge on the trunk lid - is there a quick way to check if it is AWD other than the badge...are the drive shafts to the front wheels obvious when looking under the front of the car? Anything particular troublesome about this year and model that I should be looking at?

Thanks! (I'm not a total newbie to MB's by the way...have owned a '86 300E and a '75 450SEL)

Old 03-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mazda 6 wagon
So that 2001 E320 Wagon that I went to look at was a 4MATIC even though the badge was missing from the trunk lid...yes, I discovered the front wheel drive shafts are easy to see. Nice on the inside but quite of bit of rust so I passed on it - it was definitely not from around here.

Then a private for sale 2000 E320 showed up on Craigslist - 2WD, 1 relatively local (Richmond VA) lady owner, 122K, serviced by MB it's whole life, no rust, everything works, $1850. The driver's seat is torn and both plastic rocker panels are damaged but otherwise very nice. So I bought it!

I can replace the worn and damaged parts when a junked car with matching colors comes available at the local Pick'n'Pull - am assuming the seats and those rocker panels are the same as the ones on the E sedans?

Which forum are the wagon threads supposed to be posted?